Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I purchased an HP ENVY 6455e from Bestbuy and used their extended support feature known as "Geek Squad" to troubleshoot a issue scanning with t eh 6455e printer. The agent installed an app called  "HP Scan and Capture, which did resolve the problem, but only to a limited extent. There were no instructions for:

* The scanner input mechanism--flatbed or Automatic Document Feeder(ADF)

* What type of output--image, pdf, text.
* Where to store the output.

I initially thought that the issue was one of configuring the HP Smart  settings or perhaps even a hardware issue, but I now see that it is a software issue, and that this forum is a more appropriate resource to pursue resolution.

Thanks for your help. 

FredFrog

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @fredfrog2019,

Welcome to HP Support Community. 

Thank you for posting your query. I will be glad to help you.

To understand the issue and help you, please get back to me with the details listed below:

- Operating system installed on the computer connected to the unit.
- Connection method - USB, physical LAN, or wireless?
- Error messages (if any) - on the printer display and/or computer, any patterns for flashing lights. If possible, get back to us with the screen shot of the error message.

Take care and have a great day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Rainbow23, Thanks for your reply.

I decided to take a closer look at the HP Smart scan. It has the capabilities that seem to be lacking in Scan and Capture. I be using HP Smart for scanning.

FredFrog2019.

HP Recommended

Hi @fredfrog2019,

This issue might require one on one interaction to fix it.

I've sent you a private message with further instructions. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link

Take care and have a great day ahead! 

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi @fredfrog2019,

I suggest that you scan using iPad or iPhone by following the steps from this weblink.

Let me know if this helps.
Take care and have a nice day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I stated in my previous reply that I've decided to use HP Smart for scanning because it works better for me than scan and capture.. Also, I don't have an iPad or iPhone

SweetTasha.

HP Recommended

Hi @fredfrog2019,

Let me know if you are using Windows Computer or MAC Computer to scan from the printer?

Also let me know the version of the operating system installed.
Let me know if the printer is connected to the computer via USB cable or ethernet cable or wireless.

Take care and have a great day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Windows 10,  wireless .

fredfrog.

HP Recommended

Rainbow23,

I'm wrong about Scan and Capture (S&C) versus HP Smart. Apparently I didn't do a thorough test of HP Smart.😓 Turns out HP Smart doesn't scan 2-sided. I'll be opening another incident here to discuss that. My initial re-testing confirms that S&C definitely does do 2-sided. I'll do some more testing to acquaint myself with S&C and publish my findings here with screen shots to help other users.

Thanks for your help.
Fred

HP Recommended

I feel like more of a fish than a (Fred)frog with all the flip-flopping I've done on this question. I apologize for that. I'm hopeful that with this post I can gain some measure of credibility.

I still cannot remember how I ever got Scan and Capture to do 2-sided. But I've invested a few hours carefully documenting a step-by-step process for scanning 2-sided with HP Smart. 

1. Open HP Smart and click Scan

HP Smart openng screen showing main functions.jpg

2. Choose these Settings
HP Smart settings.jpg
3. Click Scan.

4. Add the document to the Document Feeder, front-side UP
scanner showing front-side UP resized and annotated.jpg
5. Click Scan. (See Settings screen above.)

6. Remove scanned document from the output tray of the Document Feeder. DO NOT TURN THE DOCUMENT OVER. LEAVE BACK-SIDE FACING UP.

7. Rotate the document 180-degrees counter-clockwise and place it into the Document Feeder.

8. Click Add then click Scan (See Settings screen above for SCAN button). This will  begin scanning the back of the document.

HP Smart showing ADD to scan back of document.jpg

HP Smart showing 8 pages were scanned.jpg

9. Click Save.

Note that the document used in this article contains 4 sheets, front and back. That produces 8 numbered pages in the pdf.

If someone would like to try these steps--even if not on my printer model--I'd appreciate knowing whether you have any issues.

HP Smart showing 8 pages were scanned.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.