Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Scanjet Enterprise 7500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I have the HP Scanjet Enterprise 7500 scanner. Great scanner BUT whenever I try to scan with it using the "HP Scan" software (Connected via USB), at startup it claims "The HP imaging device was not found". I can try to re-add the scanner manually in HP Scan, but HP Scan acts like I haven't plugged it in when I have. 

The solution currently is to uninstall and re-install HP Scan every time I load my computer, which makes the problem go away temporarily. But this is painful!

I've checked and Windows DOES recognise the scanner all along in Windows settings, and displays correctly whether it is connected or not. BUT, Windows Fax and Scan mirrors the same behaviour as above: it only 'sees' the scanner on a fresh HP Scan uninstall and re-install.

Help, it's so frustrating!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @scanningnerd,
Welcome to the HP Support Community!

First download only these two software package:

1. HP Scanjet 7500 Full Feature Software and Driver 
  2. Readiris Pro 16 for HP 

then read this procedure

What antivirus software is used?

Regards
Andreas

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for this. I've tried the fixes you suggested, which is basically what I was doing already. Inf act the "HP Scanjet 7500 Full Feature Software and Driver" is the exact same file even down to the build version, that I have been using to reinstall the software every single time I want to use the scanner!

Re anti-virus: I have no anti-virus installed apart from Windows Security. No mcafee, norton, malwarebytes, etc.

So the problem still persists. Please help.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi,

try a "Reset the scanner".

HP Recommended

Thanks for this. I have tried this (powering off the scanner), it could be left off for days and then turned on again. Makes no difference to the issue.

I am convinced there is something more complicated going on here/something interfering, and for some reason the fresh install of the software works every time, but it is not a practical way to continue using the scanner

HP Recommended

Then try this now -

The HP software must be completely uninstalled and removed of the system.

The two complete packages have already been downloaded to the download folder. If not, then first download only.

• File name: Discrete_Full_Webpack-51.2.4911-SJ7500_Discrete_Full_Webpack.exe (272.3 MB) could take a little longer!

Then proceed as follows:

Check the system for

• TuneUp`s
  • Optimization Tools
  • Cleanup Tools

disable them, better uninstall them. Next...

1. Disconnect printer/scanner from computer- Remove the USB cable.- Do not switch off the printer/scanner >> unplug the power cord from the socket!
  2. right-click Start, search for "control panel" and open "Programs and Features"
    uninstall all HP printer/scanner software > via "Programs and Features"
  3. right-click Start, search for "control panel" and open "Devices and Printers"
    In the "Devices and Printers" window look for your HP Printer/Scanner. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  4. Restart the PC < very important
  5. Close all programs
  6. Change File-Explorer-Settings:View > Options > "Change folder and search options" > Tab "View"
    • enable > Show hidden files, folders and drives
    • uncheck > Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    OK
  7. search for "HP [printer/scanner name]" and delete all this folders
  8. Empty the TEMP folders
    A) C:\Users\[Your user account]\AppData\Local\Temp\
    B) C:\Windows\Temp\
  9. system files cannot be deleted!
  10. Reconnect the printer to the power supply and switch it on (if this does not happen automatically)
  11. Restart the PC < very important
  12. Close all programs
  13. Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo > in folder Downloads click on the EXE, see above.

Via USB, means wait until the installation asks to connect the printer/scanner.

Document error messages, even better is a screenshot and upload here.

Note:

Change the File Explorer settings again -

• enable > Don`t show hidden files, folders or drives
  • click button > Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    OK

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Andreas

If my post resolved your problem please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks”!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.