Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello !

When trying to copy document, the A4 Page is always cropped. Is there any way to fix it ? or change size used by the scanner and make it not crop the pages?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TheMiziko 

@TheMiziko wrote:

So let me clarify some information. The printer scans everything perfectly and only certain pages are cropped on top. It seemed like there is some kind of "smart scaling" or "smart cropping" that tries to detect boundaries of the document to better fit them on the copy, but simply fails and crops small margin that is very crucial to documents I scan (part of stamp, signature etc.)

So if my Deskjet 2540 usually copies perfectly entire area of the document, and crops only certain documents what should I do? From what I understand, on printers without the control panel, it is nearly impossible to adjust it? 

The papers size is always this same A4, and it is the recommended size for my scanner and printer.

I believe from your context that you are using Copy (and not Scan).

I am unaware of a smart-scaling feature in Copy, though it might exist.   Things I know about printing are outnumbered by the things I do not know.

I would have guessed, since the larger margin restriction is at the bottom, that your document would be cropped at that edge.   

So, unless you are copying your documents "upside down", I do not have an explanation for the top having been cropped on a few documents, particularly if all the documents have the same margins on the original page / content.

Specifications > Print Margins

Media
1. Left (LM)
2. Right (RM)
3. Top (TM)
4. Bottom (BM)*
U.S. Letter
U.S. Legal
A4
U.S. Statement
8.5 x 13 inch
Customized media
Photo media
U.S. Executive
B5
Cards
Custom-sized media
Photo media
3.2 mm (0.12 inch)
3.2 mm (0.12 inch)
1.5 mm (0.06 inch)
Windows: 14.5 mm (0.57 inch)
Mac and Linux: 12 mm (0.47 inch)
Envelopes
4.0 mm (0.16 inch)
4.0 mm (0.16 inch)
16.5 mm (0.65 inch)
16.5 mm (0.65 inch)
*To achieve these margin settings on a computer running Windows, click the Advanced tab in the print driver, and then select Minimize Margins.

There is no workaround for the printer margin restrictions except as noted in the Paper Handling section of the Specifications. 

Yes, you understand correctly:  Without a Printer Control Panel, the Copy function is a streamlined version of the option.

If you wish to try it - and if the option is available to you - the EWS provides Webscan.  Webscan is a simplified version of the full scan feature.  The option may provide what you need to create a document that you can print successfully without the necessity of using the full Scan software suite.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TheMiziko 

@TheMiziko wrote:

Hello !

When trying to copy document, the A4 Page is always cropped. Is there any way to fix it ? or change size used by the scanner and make it not crop the pages?

The Specifications do not specifically say (or I missed it) whether the Copy function can "see" the entire glass in order to pull / copy the A4 size.  If the print is being "chopped" by only a little on each side, the issue might be the printer margin restrictions (which are mandatory on all except the allowed Borderless printing on paper size B5)

You can use software on the computer to resize copied documents / images.  Such is necessary for printers that lack a Printer Control Panel.

Copy Basics - How to

How to Make Copies

If the printer is on the network, you might be able to use the Embedded Web Server - EWS - (as mentioned in the how-to document) to manage the copy setup.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Copy (exact wording varies)

Some models allow you to set / manage all the Copy Defaults in one menu.

Example - EWS - Officejet Pro 8630 - Copy Defaults

EWS_Settings_Copy_1EWS_Settings_Copy_1

Reference Only:

Some newer (or more complex) printers separate the Tray and Paper Management into separate menus.

Example  - EWS - Officejet Pro 9025 - Copy Defaults

EWS_9025_Copy_Defaults_1EWS_9025_Copy_Defaults_1

Scan

The Specifications do indicate that you can scan:

Maximum scan size from glass: 21.6 x 29.7 cm (8.5 x 11.7 inches)

If you use Scan instead of copy and set the "scan size" to the "entire glass", then you could scan-save-print the resulting file onto A4 paper.  You may have to print the PDF file to "fit" the paper to prevent "chopped edges" ; at least the document should print this way.

Scan Basics

How to Scan (Windows)

Assuming you have already installed the Full Feature Software for your printer,

IF the HP Scan software lacks the full control for Scan options,

The following might work for your setup.

Link / Download:  HP Scan Extended 

Download, save, and install to use.  Exceptional free HP scan program:  HP Scan Extended features include (and are not limited to): Single, Multiple scans, Image and PDF scans, Email as PDF / JPEG, Source selection, Page Size choices include Auto-Detect (extracts image / document boundary).  May include OCR (Save as Editable Text).

NOTES

• HPSE is an older subset of the printer software; features are very similar to scan software included in 2015 or newer Full Feature Software packages.
  • If you have the newer version of the scan software inside your Full Feature Software, use that: Printer Assistant shortcut icon on Desktop (named for printer) > Scan a document or image (wording varies).
  • Although the HPSE program works as a separate program, HPSE is dependent on the infrastructure provided by the printer software. The Full Feature Software for your printer should be installed before installing HPSE.
  • OPTIONAL: Add HP Scan Extended shortcut to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start
    • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Scan Extended\bin
    • Right-Click the exe > Select Pin to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start

Example - HPSE - Scan Field Size

Set your "Page Size" to either "Auto Detect Size" or "Entire Scan Area"

NOTE:  Some newer printers have this capability built into the printer software - the exact wording varies in those models.

HPSE_Scan-to-PDF_1HPSE_Scan-to-PDF_1

Print the saved scanned file using your PDF Reader software.

Example - Print PDF file

Open document in Adobe Reader DC > print icon > set options and print

Manage Print Output with Print Preview_PDF_1DManage Print Output with Print Preview_PDF_1D

Still need help?  Want more information?  Search for solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer series

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

So let me clarify some information. The printer scans everything perfectly and only certain pages are cropped on top. It seemed like there is some kind of "smart scaling" or "smart cropping" that tries to detect boundaries of the document to better fit them on the copy, but simply fails and crops small margin that is very crucial to documents I scan (part of stamp, signature etc.)

So if my Deskjet 2540 usually copies perfectly entire area of the document, and crops only certain documents what should I do? From what I understand, on printers without the control pannel, it is nearly impossible to adjust it? 

The papers size is always this same A4, and it is the recommended size for my scanner and printer.

HP Recommended

@TheMiziko 

@TheMiziko wrote:

So if my Deskjet 2540 usually copies perfectly entire area of the document, and crops only certain documents what should I do? From what I understand, on printers without the control panel, it is nearly impossible to adjust it? 

I believe from your context that you are using Copy (and not Scan).

I am unaware of a smart-scaling feature in Copy, though it might exist.   Things I know about printing are outnumbered by the things I do not know.

I would have guessed, since the larger margin restriction is at the bottom, that your document would be cropped at that edge.   

So, unless you are copying your documents "upside down", I do not have an explanation for the top having been cropped on a few documents, particularly if all the documents have the same margins on the original page / content.

Specifications > Print Margins

Media
1. Left (LM)
2. Right (RM)
3. Top (TM)
4. Bottom (BM)*
U.S. Letter
U.S. Legal
A4
U.S. Statement
8.5 x 13 inch
Customized media
Photo media
U.S. Executive
B5
Cards
Custom-sized media
Photo media
3.2 mm (0.12 inch)
3.2 mm (0.12 inch)
1.5 mm (0.06 inch)
Windows: 14.5 mm (0.57 inch)
Mac and Linux: 12 mm (0.47 inch)
Envelopes
4.0 mm (0.16 inch)
4.0 mm (0.16 inch)
16.5 mm (0.65 inch)
16.5 mm (0.65 inch)
*To achieve these margin settings on a computer running Windows, click the Advanced tab in the print driver, and then select Minimize Margins.

There is no workaround for the printer margin restrictions except as noted in the Paper Handling section of the Specifications. 

Yes, you understand correctly:  Without a Printer Control Panel, the Copy function is a streamlined version of the option.

If you wish to try it - and if the option is available to you - the EWS provides Webscan.  Webscan is a simplified version of the full scan feature.  The option may provide what you need to create a document that you can print successfully without the necessity of using the full Scan software suite.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.