Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Laser MFP 137fnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Laser MFP 137fnw and Windows 10 (64 bit)

I have serious problems with scanning. I installed the software from the HP website. 

1. I cannot scan  anything as jpeg or tiff (it says: Can't create or open the file: Acces is denied), I can only scan as pdf.

2. I cannot save anything in Scan folder or in any other folder I create  in My Documents. The software says it saved the file, but the file is never there (or anywhere else in the computer). I can only save on Desktop, it is the only place where I can save scans.

3. I do not find anywhere the OCR option (I downloaded the HP OCR software).

I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor - it is useless.

Windows system is updated.

I uninstalled and installed the HP software a few times, nothing has changed.

Please help me to use this machine.

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SOLUTION

I found the solution. The problem was the antivirus program. I installed the HP software with the antivirus off. With the antivirus off, the scanning  process was normal. After I turned on the antivirus program, the problems came back. I had to allow some applications, among them edc.exe and imageeng.exe. Now I see the scanning works well, I can scan and save as jpeg, tiff etc. and finally the files are saved in the Scan folder.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@eda3

Welcome to the HP support community.

Did you remove the printer driver from root level before installing the new driver?

If not, follow the below steps:-

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer full feature driver

Click here to download the driver.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, but when I go to printui.exe there is no tab, just a list of things, like this:

Usage: rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry [options] [@commandfile]
/a[file] binary file name
/b[name] base printer name
/c[name] unc machine name if the action is on a remote machine
/dl delete local printer
/dn delete network printer connection
/dd delete printer driver
/e display printing preferences
/f[file] either inf file or output file
/F[file] location of an INF file that the INF file specified with /f may depend on
/ga add per machine printer connections (the connection will be propagated to the user upon logon)
/ge enum per machine printer connections
/gd delete per machine printer connections (the connection will be deleted upon user logon)
/h[arch] driver architecture one of the following, x86, x64 or Itanium
/ia install printer driver using inf file
/id install printer driver using add printer driver wizard
/if install printer using inf file
/ii install printer using add printer wizard with an inf file
/il install printer using add printer wizard
/im install printer using add printer wizard skiping network listed printers
etc.

HP Recommended

NOT SOLVED

I did everything you said, except for the printui.exe step because there is no tab whatsoever (at least, not in Windows 10), and  nothing changed.

Please help me use this machine, why are the software problems so serious?!

HP Recommended

@eda3

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I went to the website, I entered the serial number and it says that HP no longer supports this product.
However, the manufacturer's warranty is active,  there are 10 months remaining.

What can I do in this case? Is it normal that HP do not offer any solution for its product? I bought it new two months ago and I almost cannot use it.

I look forward to your answer,

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

SOLUTION

I found the solution. The problem was the antivirus program. I installed the HP software with the antivirus off. With the antivirus off, the scanning  process was normal. After I turned on the antivirus program, the problems came back. I had to allow some applications, among them edc.exe and imageeng.exe. Now I see the scanning works well, I can scan and save as jpeg, tiff etc. and finally the files are saved in the Scan folder.

HP Recommended

@eda3

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.