Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I'm planning to order a new model of monochrome MFP for a science station in Antarctica.  I've ordered enterprise printers in the past that I later found out are problematic for a number of reasons, and we are now stuck with these printers for up to 10 years - I want to avoid making that mistake again.

What is the most durable monochrome MFP in the $200-400 range?  It needs automatic duplex so the NeverStops are out. 

In addition to being affordable and durable, I need a model that will be available on the market for at least another year, since I can only purchase a limited number of these now, and the rest will be purchased next year.  The procurement and shipping process takes a very long time (>1 year), so the longer the printer will be available the better.  If it makes sense to wait until the next models of MFP are released, I will be happy to do so rather than be stuck with a small number of the current model. 

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.    

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@McMurdo-PcShop 

Interesting!

Our Community can provide no real information of this type.

We are not in any way associated with the HP Store.

Everything you see here will be the author's opinion on the subject.

Opinions might be "good enough". 

The situation is unique - solid fact based information is important.

That said, I've sent off a couple of inquiries to see if we can get a response from one of the teams.

Hopefully, too, you will hear back from another Community member who can share his / her /their own experience with the subject.

Request for Review

• I have submitted a request that our Community moderators review your question / concern.

Worth Noting

• Our Community is not an HP business group.
  • We are not HP Technical Support, nor are we HP Sales, Service, or Warranty.
  • Our request for assistance on your behalf does not influence the outcome:  Our request is not a magic back door into HP Support.
  • The time frame (how long it takes) for a response is not controlled by the Community.
  • If / When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you. 

Important

• Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”.  Vermin are looking for victims – don’t be next.
  • Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data. 
  • Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from rats and scammers.

Reference

HP Online Store – USA

Store/HP.com USA Sales

Not your HP store?  Scroll to the bottom of the website and click the Flag to change regions.

Customer Service - Examples

For example:  Self-Help Service, Account, Security and Privacy, Tracking, Change Order, Returns and Cancellations, FAQ, Shopping, Shipping and delivery, Rebates / Coupons, Product Support, Parts and services

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hey, welcome back, sorry to hear that the M775 units have been problematic. I never heard back from you so I figured that things were going ok. In terms of a small monochrome MFP, I would recommend the M428 series or the managed version of that product which features the enterprise firmware in the small office format, model number E42540. Those might be a little on the high side of your budget, but really the smallest monochrome I would recommend.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hello @McMurdo-PcShop 

Based on your requirements:

1. $200 - $400 range
  2. Monochrome
  3. Automatic duplex
  4. A model that will be available on the market for at least another year

The model that has almost all of them is the HP Laserjet Pro MFP M428fdw ( price is a Little bit higher tan your range)

You can see the specs at hp.com / Shop / Shop Print / Laser printers.

I hope this Info helps you.

Regards

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

I don't think the Managed version of any printer is available to us, since we can't use the Managed Print service.  But please let me know if I'm wrong!

Looks like my option is the 428.  Thanks so much for your speedy response!

HP Recommended

@McMurdo-PcShop 

The non-managed version is the M430f. I feel that this is a better choice than the m428 as it uses the same enterprise level firmware FutureSmart 5 as larger products do making workload for IT staff lower as you do not need to learn another system.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.