Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Deskjet Plus 4155
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I am making copies using the copy button on the printer, it sometimes switches to making a very tiny reduced copy . This happens randomly, without my having done anything besides pushing the copy button, and there seems to be no way to switch it back to full size copying without power cycling the printer. What's going on and what is the fix, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, mystery solved! It turns out that the 4155 does not have any way to adjust the copy settings, which I verified with tech support. I wasn't able to replicate my problem with the tech, but he reinstalled everything and made sure I had the latest drivers. Everything checked out perfectly. But then I remembered that when the problem occurred, I had gotten a paper feed error at the same time. It was after repositioning the paper in the feeder that the copy came out reduced in size. So it occurred to me that the printer was sensing the paper size and (if it was smaller than the original image) reducing the copy to fit. So to test my hypothesis, I cut an 8.5x11 piece of paper in half and stuck that in the the feeder. Sure enough, the copy got reduced! Then, I put in a full size piece of paper in the feeder and, lo, I got a full size copy. So that explains what happened and also confirms my belief that you get what you pay for! Next time, I will get an OfficeJet Pro, like Dragon-Fur has. Oh, and by the way, it does work to enter the local IP address in my browser to directly access the 4155, as he suggested. We tested that with the Tech agent, after he had reconfigured everything. So I must have had the wrong IP when I tried it the first time. Thanks again for the suggestions.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi.

I've had this problem before and even restoring the factory settings to default did not fix the issue. However, there is a deeper reset on the printer that worked like a charm for me.

*WARNING, this solution will reset ALL of your printer's settings*

On the printer's control panel/screen, there should be the HOME, QUESTION MARK, and RETURN buttons.

when you are on the home screen, the only buttons that will show up is the ? button.

If you know where the RETURN arrow is, just press it 4times even if it is not illuminated.

if you do not know where the spot for the back arrow is, you can just try pressing the copy button first to see where it is, then just go back to the home screen

it should open support menu.

once you're in support menu, click on it, then press the button pointing RIGHT.

it should give you different menus, just press the DOWN arrow and look for RESETS menu.

Once you're in RESETS menu, press the down arrow and look for SEMI FULL reset.

Touch OK

your printer will turn off, just wait for a couple of seconds and turn it on again.

Finish the setup, try copying. It should work fine.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think you must have a different model. My printer (Deskjet 4155) has only 4 buttons (cancel, paper-feed, info, and network), besides the bw and color copy buttons. There is no maintenance/utility menu on this printer. Everything has to be done remotely, using the HP Smart application, and as far as I can tell, there are no settings in that application that pertain to copying. In any case, it seems unlikely to me that some kind of hard reset of the printer would solve my problem, since it seems to occur randomly and can be fixed (temporarily, anyway), by power-cycling the printer. 

HP Recommended

@onceburned 

==============================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Reminder to those reading:

Do NOT respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

HP does not post phone numbers or email in Community messages.

==============================================================

Consider / Try

If the printer is on your network...

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Copy > Settings > Default SettingsCopy Defaults (wording can vary)

EWS_9025_Copy_Defaults_4EWS_9025_Copy_Defaults_4

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, Dragon-Fur. Sadly, though, and unlike every other network printer I have owned, the 4155 does not respond when you enter its local IP address into a browser. AFAIK, it can only be accessed through the HP Smart application, which tells me that its IP Address is a long hex string that is not a standard URL and definitely not what my local network tells me its IP address is. In any event, even using HP Smart, the 4155 does not seem to provide any user settings for the copy function. I think this is a case of "you get what you pay for." This was a really cheap printer. I have installed numerous network printers before, including many by HP, and this was the most difficult one to set up that I've ever encountered. Since there is no utility/maintenance menu on the machine, itself, you have to do everything with the HP app. And that app (the mobile version, anyway), is junk. Literally froze when I was trying to use it. And it turns out that you absolutely cannot use a network extender with this printer, which I only learned by calling tech support. And even they had trouble getting it up and running. Once burned, twice cautious! This may be my last HP printer. Brother?

HP Recommended

@onceburned 

Youi are welcome.

I was not sure I should answer - if you have made up your mind, I would not be interested in a tug-of-war over a Deskjet printer.  Smiling.

If you still have the printer...

The network extender might be the reason you are seeing the IPv6 address (as opposed to the more familiar IPv4 address).

Deskjet printers are limited in scope.  Deskjets are indeed pretty much dependent on "outside" means to communicate with the world.  Not ideal in my opinion, though I am a traditionalist; I prefer a more robust printer interface (OfficeJet Pro fan).

That said, the printer should work.  Not sure about whether it works with an extender - but in general, these printers are supposed to be decent for their class and should "do what they ought". 

@greenturtle 

Is there some help for @onceburned  ?

Truth is, he may be trying to use the printer in a network setup it won't support.

Or - perhaps I am simply misreading the situation..

TIA

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

OK, mystery solved! It turns out that the 4155 does not have any way to adjust the copy settings, which I verified with tech support. I wasn't able to replicate my problem with the tech, but he reinstalled everything and made sure I had the latest drivers. Everything checked out perfectly. But then I remembered that when the problem occurred, I had gotten a paper feed error at the same time. It was after repositioning the paper in the feeder that the copy came out reduced in size. So it occurred to me that the printer was sensing the paper size and (if it was smaller than the original image) reducing the copy to fit. So to test my hypothesis, I cut an 8.5x11 piece of paper in half and stuck that in the the feeder. Sure enough, the copy got reduced! Then, I put in a full size piece of paper in the feeder and, lo, I got a full size copy. So that explains what happened and also confirms my belief that you get what you pay for! Next time, I will get an OfficeJet Pro, like Dragon-Fur has. Oh, and by the way, it does work to enter the local IP address in my browser to directly access the 4155, as he suggested. We tested that with the Tech agent, after he had reconfigured everything. So I must have had the wrong IP when I tried it the first time. Thanks again for the suggestions.

HP Recommended

@onceburned 

OK - All good then.

I am glad the issue is resolved.

We appreciate the information - it helps to know what was going on.

@greenturtle - Good News, "All better" for now.  Thanks for checking in with me.

Stay Safe, everyone!

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.