Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8035 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

I currently use an OfficeJet Pro 8035 that I have had for 3 years. I bought it brand new in 2019. I've had my computer for a little over a year which I also bought brand new. The all in one worked fine until recently. I can print documents, photos, and such from my computer, but I cannot scan to my computer. Even though the computer is listed in the printer, the message I get is the computer is not available. I even changed the printer USB cable, which did not correct the problem.

HP Print and Scan Doctor tells me I have 2 of the same printers connected to my computer. Print and Scan Doctor has problems connecting to the printer(s).

meissen_3-1669144978153.png

After finally connecting to one of those computers, Scan Doctor says there is a Device Manger Error. HUH? What does that mean?  HP Smart also says I have 2 of the same printers connected to my computer, though one has a check mark in a green circle and gives me ink levels which matches my printer. The other printer listed does not. Both say printer status unknown. When I hit the scan button on either one of the listed printers, it says scanning is unavailable.

meissen_0-1669143681508.png         

meissen_1-1669143804157.png

What can the problem be? How come my scanner cannot communicate with my computer? When I go to the Printers and Devices folder and try to make my printer the default printer, it says doing so will make Windows stop managing my default printer? Does this mean that Windows is managing another printer, perhaps this second OfficeJet Pro 8035 that Scan Doctor and HP Smart says there is?

meissen_2-1669143958112.png

At least I can still print. I don't want to uninstall and try to re-install and find out I can't because the computer and printer aren't communicating. I would like to see what the problem is/could be before I consider trying that.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@meissen

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting a scanner connection error, I am glad to assist you.

Run the Print and Scan Doctor

• Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor to automatically diagnose and resolve printer hardware and connection issues.
  • After the Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Fix Scanning to test your scanner, and then follow any instructions to resolve the issue.

Check Windows Image Acquisition settings

• Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) is a Windows service that helps communication between the computer and scanners. If WIA is not activated, scan jobs can fail.
  • In Windows, search for and open View local services.
  • In the Services window, scroll down the list and find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).
  • Look at the Status and Startup Type values.
  • If the status is Started or Running and the Startup Type is Automatic, WIA is running correctly. Skip to the next step.
  • Making sure WIA Status is Running, and Startup Type is Automatic
  • If the status is Disabled or no status displays, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), click Properties, click the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu, and then click Start.
  • If the Start button is grayed out, go back to the Services menu, make sure Remote Procedure Call, Shell Hardware Detection, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and DCOM Server Process Launcher are running and set as Automatic, and then start WIA.
  • Try to scan

Refer to this HP document for further assistance:- Click here

Keep me posted.

If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others. 

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy, thanks for replying to my problem, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, your suggestions did not work for me.

My WIA was running, so there was no probles there. As I mentioned in my original post, Scan and Print doctor did not help as well. It lists 2 or the same printers. I clicked on each one and hit next. It took a few hours before I got to another screen that again told me I had a Device Manager error. I will admit that it did work one time and this app said it fixed my problem. The next time I turned on the computer, the "fix" was gone. I have tried multiple times after that and have not been able to get beyond the Device Manager Error.

I even went as far as trying to re-install the printer's software, but the computer was not able to locate the printer. Yet, I can still print.

HP Recommended

@meissen

This seems to be a driver issue.

Did you uninstall the old driver from the root level before installing the new driver?

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install the printer using the HP Smart app

Click here to download:- Click here

Keep me posted.

If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers. 

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your driver issue suggestion, I appreciate it. I didn't want to uninstall anything because if I still had a problem with communication between computer and printer and couldn't install the installation software, I wouldn't have able to at least print anything. Since I had already scheduled Geek Squad to come over to look at the problem, I left the problem for him to solve. One of the things he did do, was uninstall and re-install the software. Along with a few other things he did, the problem has been solved. I have my all in one working properly again.

Again, thanks for your suggestions!

HP Recommended

@meissen

Good to know that the issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.