Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 7740 Printer / Scanner
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought my HP 7740 about 6 months ago and have been very pleased. It's mostly been used to scan family photos to store them digitally and the odd document scan.

However today I tried to scan a document to find that I now have to login to HP Cloud Services before I'm allowed to scan using my own printer. When did that change and why should I have to connect to HP to use a device in my own home?

I've removed and re-installed HP Smart but it refuses to let me scan without logging in. To say I'm not happy at this attempted intrusion into my privacy would be a huge understatement.

I'm hoping this can be resolved as there is zero need for me to login to HP before scanning, as was demonstrated by my early experience when I first got the printer. This is just another attempt to vacuum up more personal data.

Please can anyone suggest how I can get back to just using my device without first having to connect to HP Cloud Services?

I would say that if HP are not forthcoming with a way to use my device without having to connect to their cloud, I'll be more than happy to raise this with the Data Protection Commissioner in the UK. This unilateral decision to force me to give up personal data to use my own device is a blatant and stealthy breach of my privacy.

As you can probably tell, I'm somewhat incensed!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

What a stupid way to treat your customers! I will never buy ANYTHING from HP again!

HP Recommended

100% agree with this post.  Scanning a document SHOULD NOT require internet access, much less creating an account for something I DO NOT WANT!!!!

HP just guaranteed I will not consider their products in the future. It's a printer/scanner - stop trying to make it more than what I want. It's not broken, stop fixing it.

HP Recommended

"Using the HP Smart application is not a requirement to use the printer."

On iOS, it's a requirement to scan a document.

https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/j8l7v5/cannot_use_printers_basic_functions_without_hp/

What's Next ? Next update HP will forbid us to scan any document they don't like ?

HP Recommended

What a ridiculous reply! Just quote the rules instead of addressing the customers concern.

Answer this simple question for your customers please. Why should we have to create an account to use a product we own?

This is a COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE way to treat paying customers!

HP Recommended

Totally agree... what a turn off! Please report them. We will be looking for other solutions for our company moving forward. Let's all vote with our pocketbook.

HP Recommended

Hio@Gerrard_B, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that you need to help to connect HP cloud services, Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

The below link contains a self-help document, this will assist you in HP Printers - Turn On Web Services 

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05329102

Please follow below support document to print with HP ePrint:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03721293

As the print does not print from the mobile device only, I suggest reviewing these guidelines for pint problem with HP ePrint, and to ensure your email meets the requirements for the service:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03601466

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Praveenbv. Wrong canned response!

The link you provided describes the connected service (aka "Web Services" or "HP Connected") which is necessary for "HP ePrint and HP Instant Ink services". Scanning is not mentioned anywhere in that link.

The question is why must we be "connected" to HP just to use our own scanner with supplied HP software.

HP Recommended

@dow2,

Please try these don't need to connect  Scan without accessing the HP Cloud Services or account .

Can you download and install the FULL featured printer software from HP for your operating system:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

How to Scan to Computer

Once you have installed the software:

1. Click on the printer Icon (on your desktop) and it will bring up the HP Printer Assistant.
2. Under the Scan menu, there is a “Manage Scan to Computer”, click on that.
3. Make sure that you “Enable” Scan to Computer. Also make sure the tab “Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows” is checked if you want to make this feature permanent. (the following video will show you how)

Scan to Computer (New UI) 

How to use "Scan to Computer" properly 

Once the Scan to Computer is setup, it will be scanned directly from the Printer to the computer.  This should address both your questions.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

@dow2 

For those reading...

HP Smart Windows and Mobile require that you log into the application using your HP Account.

At this writing, this is how the app works and - again, at this writing - it is not expected to change.

HP Smart is a nice application, particularly the Windows version.

Use of the HP Smart application is not mandatory.

There are other options to scan that do not require you to sign in, including those in the following list...

Various Software / Applications for Scan

1.  Full Driver / Full Feature Software

If you have not done so, download-save-install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver for the printer

Full Driver / Full Feature Software does not require a sign-in to use the software.

HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software

• Download-and-Save the printer software (Full Feature Software / HP Smart / Easy Start)
  • Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation
  • Reminder:  If using Easy Start, select the Full Driver

Easy Start...

About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full Driver" set (as opposed to the basic driver).

Any...

If using USB:  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (near the last part of the driver installation)

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

Full driver provides print and scan functions.

=======================================================================

2.  Windows Scan  Microsoft Store - Requires Windows 8 or higher

3.  Paint- the Original - Paint (mspaint) can be used to scan images / photos.

4.  NAPS2– “Not Another PDF Scanner”

• Download-Save-Install >  NAPS2 
  • Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).
  • Includes an OCR feature – may need Ghostscript add-on (See NAPS2 forum entry)
  • Read the Support pages for information
  • Download, save, and install the NAPS2 software to use.

5.  HP Scan and Capture - Microsoft Store - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Scan_and_Capture_Document-Photo_Settings_1.jpg

Dislike the other options?

Ignore them.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.