Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Using scanning software supplied with the printer.

Scanning two page colour doc to black and white pdf file.

HPscan setup.png

Image produced appears as black and white when viewed in a pdf reader but file size is large compared to a scan on my brother portable scanner (932KB as opposed to 61KB).

Examination of header of produced pdf shows:

/XObject /Subtype /Image /Name /Im1 /Width 1654 /Height 2338 /Length 454440/ColorSpace /DeviceRGB /BitsPerComponent 8 /Filter [ /DCTDecode ] for each scanned page.

Header from my portable scanner for same doc and scan settings:

/Subtype/Image/Length 31668/Width 1662/Height 2344/BitsPerComponent 1/Filter/JBIG2Decode/ColorSpace/DeviceGray/Decode[ 1 0]>>stream

Why is this?

Bought this AllInOne" for the docment feeder on the scanner.

Scanning large, multipage docs for archiving.

Small filesize more important than high resolution/colour.

Large pdf filesize produced makes this product unsuitable for my application.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SimonK147 

From the list, there is an option called Save as PDF. Please use that option ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.

"Single sided doc" is my custom setup, based upon "save to PDF"

As you can see from the right-hand side of the screenshot, the save format is PDF.

The output file is definitely a PDF as it can be read by a PDF reader. The issue is why it is being output in 8 bit rbg instead of 1 bit b&w as selected and why the file size is so much bigger than the same resolution b&w PDF created on my portable scanner

HP Recommended

Following up on my above question,

Repeated tests using default "Save to pdf" profile as suggested.

5200 settings pg1.png

Note the confirmation of black & white 1 bit in the 2nd settings page below.

5200 settings pg2.png

File size of result is 2.6MB.

Note the difference to a scan of the same document with the same settings on my Brother DSmobile portable. Less than 10% the size.

Output pdf size.png

Header of the file output by the 5200 still shows RGB 8 bit.

%PDF-1.7

1 0 obj

<</Type /XObject /Subtype /Image /Name /Im1 /Width 1181 /Height 1652 /Length 311139

/ColorSpace /DeviceRGB/BitsPerComponent 8 /Filter [ /DCTDecode ] >> stream

I also scanned the same doc in full colour on the Brother. 1.5MB, still 1/3 smaller than the allegedly black and white scan on the 5200.

Anybody know what, if anything, I'm doing wrong or should I just return this device for credit?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.