Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8710 PCL-3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer is wireless and prints without a problem from the laptop. It cannot connect to the same laptop to scan.  I ran Print Scan Doctor 5.4.2 and it says there is a driver error and it cannot connect to the printer, to restart everything.  And it asks which device I want to use: (#1) HPF73167 HP OfficeJet Pro 8710  WSD Scan Device, and (#2) HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 (NET); I don't understand how one printer has two devices and how they are different.  When I select the #1, and click properties, it states Device is Ready, and Test Scanner, which I click on that and it replies with "Your imaging device successfully completed the diagnostic test." When I do Properties for the #2 device, it states "Unable to display properties for the selected device."  It is impossible to determine what driver to install.  Every time in the past I try to scan, this problem occurs, then Scan Doctor fixes it, but not tonight.  And it's like the only way to scan is to run Scan Doctor first every time.  Scan Doctor tonight said to restart the printer (I did) and restart the computer (I did). That didn't work.  It took me to a driver page on HP and so I downloaded the one that opened up first (HP Smart), but it spent 30 minutes doing something to register fonts, and I cancelled it.  The HP Smart app tells me the printer isn't connected to the computer, but it IS connected because I can print. The other Basic Driver is HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series Basic Driver - IT Professional Use only. Another option is the Fax Driver, but I don't need a Fax Driver. I downloaded the Firmware update and it sees my printer, but won't allow me to Select It , with a status of Not applicable.  I am completely at a loss what to do.

Bottom line: How do I get the printer to talk to the laptop and scan?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Eric132

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Are you using the HP Smart App on your PC? If not, you may try and install to see if that works: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142. If yes, uninstall and reinstall it.

If the issue still persists, let's do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.)  Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Eric132

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Are you using the HP Smart App on your PC? If not, you may try and install to see if that works: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142. If yes, uninstall and reinstall it.

If the issue still persists, let's do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.)  Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good evening Betty, and happy new year.

Thank you for responding. 

Perhaps the steps worked. I didn't know which driver to install (there were about 12-15 of them), so I picked the one with the biggest file size. The installation was painful to say the least, as it kept insisting there was no printer, or no wireless, or no network. But as I fought through everything, printing seems to work. And scanning works for the first time in ages.

I did move the printer from the back room to the living room where the laptop is and plugged in a hardline cable, but the installation process insisted on using wireless.

Printers & scanners shows two printers: (1) HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 and (2) HPF73167 (HP OfficeJet Pro 8710). I don't understand why I have one physical printer and two printers are showing up on the computer. Nevertheless, test pages print to both. Actually, when I open HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.5.1, it shows five HP OfficeJet Pro8710 installed.

I want to add one last thing. Even though I took a month to address this (hate dealing with computer problems like this), the one saving grace was that HP has the email-to-printer feature (which I love), and in the interim I was able to print-by-email as needed.  Although, with the driver reinstall, I'm not sure this email service is available or setup anymore.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

You can delete the other copes of the Printer by right clicking on it and removing/deleting it.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have followed all HP suggestions— turned devices on and off, rebooted, reconnected to wireless, reinstalled printer. The printer works, but the scanner does not communicate. Please help. Does this have anything to do with no longer having Flash?

HP Recommended

@shell14

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.