Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it possible to scan to e-mail with the OfficeJet Pro 7740? My 8725 can do it. This is a pretty basic function for a modern web connected MFP. All the instructions say to use an app or browser. It is silly for a 'Pro' class device to require an app to scan to e-mail. If it can't do it, I don't want it. I don't want to send this back, but HP support is driving me nuts. I can't figure out how to open a chat with an actual  human being, and their automated support assistant seems to be unable to support all but the most basic issues.

The product description from HP website:

Digital sending features
Scan to PC; Scan to Memory Device; Scan to email

I read "Scan to email" as a native function in the device, not one that requires an app.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JustAnotherDave 

You are welcome.

Obviously, I don't understand the printer Datasheet.  🤔

Rats.

It is acting like your printer is not - after all - supporting Digital send "Scan to Email".

The User Guide confirms that the "Apps" method on the printer is the "method".

User Guide

Page 42

OK - Webscan is not the same thing as the EWS supporting Scan to Email setup.

That said, as FYI - Yes, Webscan does need to be enabled for first time use in EWS.

• Tab Settings > Security > Administrator Settings

Webscan – located in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) – No additional software

NOTE:  Webscan feature  is not available on Laser printers

If the printer is on the network,

If the EWS feature is available on your printer,

First Time Use Only:  Enable Webscan

• Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar
  • Tab Settings > Security > Administrator Settings > Enable >> Check box next to Webscan
  • Click Apply to save any changes

Next

• Tab Scan > Webscan 
  • Set up Webscan the way you want it - for example, set the Source to ADF
  • Click Start Scan to scan your document / image using Webscan
  • After the scan is complete, Save the scan to your computer.

==========================================================================

So, what to do?

I don't know - that's a nice printer and it might be worth the hassle to deal with the "Apps" method.

If you are willing to and add your "sender" email address to Windows Mail and to sign into HP Smart for Windows using your HP Account credentials, HP Smart does support scanning and send ("share") to email.

Partial Example

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_4HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_4

HP_Smart_Scan-to-Email_Set_1HP_Smart_Scan-to-Email_Set_1

Reference

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTES: 

• Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues
  • HP Smart requires that you be signed into the application with your HP Account credentials.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JustAnotherDave 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

====================================================================

Documents are sometimes written to support more than one device type.

Some printers do not support the Digital scan function and do require the user to use an "App" setup on the printer to configure Scan to Email.

That said, this printer supports Digital Scan

Datasheet - HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide FormatAll-in-One Printer 

The "browser" mentioned in the instructions you read likely refers to using the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to configure Scan to Email.

Whether the address book setup is the same as for the OfficeJet Pro 9025 (shown in the example) is not something I can confirm for you.

Example:

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Scan > Scan to Email >  Settings / Scan to Email Setup

EWS_9020_Scan-to-Email_Setup_2EWS_9020_Scan-to-Email_Setup_2

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer series 

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding so quickly and thoroughly.

In the 'Scan' tab, all I have available is 'Scan to Computer, and it says the function has been disabled.

JustAnotherDave_0-1615583400297.png

I believe I have turned on Web Services, but am certainly willing to try again.

HP Recommended

@JustAnotherDave 

You are welcome.

Obviously, I don't understand the printer Datasheet.  🤔

Rats.

It is acting like your printer is not - after all - supporting Digital send "Scan to Email".

The User Guide confirms that the "Apps" method on the printer is the "method".

User Guide

Page 42

OK - Webscan is not the same thing as the EWS supporting Scan to Email setup.

That said, as FYI - Yes, Webscan does need to be enabled for first time use in EWS.

• Tab Settings > Security > Administrator Settings

Webscan – located in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) – No additional software

NOTE:  Webscan feature  is not available on Laser printers

If the printer is on the network,

If the EWS feature is available on your printer,

First Time Use Only:  Enable Webscan

• Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar
  • Tab Settings > Security > Administrator Settings > Enable >> Check box next to Webscan
  • Click Apply to save any changes

Next

• Tab Scan > Webscan 
  • Set up Webscan the way you want it - for example, set the Source to ADF
  • Click Start Scan to scan your document / image using Webscan
  • After the scan is complete, Save the scan to your computer.

==========================================================================

So, what to do?

I don't know - that's a nice printer and it might be worth the hassle to deal with the "Apps" method.

If you are willing to and add your "sender" email address to Windows Mail and to sign into HP Smart for Windows using your HP Account credentials, HP Smart does support scanning and send ("share") to email.

Partial Example

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_4HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_4

HP_Smart_Scan-to-Email_Set_1HP_Smart_Scan-to-Email_Set_1

Reference

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTES: 

• Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues
  • HP Smart requires that you be signed into the application with your HP Account credentials.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Adding the "App" worked. It is a little buggy but it is working. 

Just to be clear for any others that might read this, this isn't an app that you have to run on the phone or computer. It is an 'App" that HP makes available to the printer through its screen. You load it and configure it on the printer. I have not located a way to add addresses through the Embedded Web Server, but I only needed to add a couple so it was no big deal.

Thanks for the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.