Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer

I've had my HP Office Pro 7740 for some time now. All of a sudden, it won't copy from either the sheet feeder or flatbed tray.

When I hit either start copy button on the printer's Control Panel, the printer sounds like it's initiating, but then displays "Copying page 1/1..." forever. (Or, until I hit the "X" button.) Note that I can print any of the reports from the Control Panel just fine.

Things that I have tried to no avail:

• Checked ink cartridges... There is plenty of ink in all four of them;
  • Reset from the Copy Setup gear;
  • Powered down and back up;
  • Powered down, unplugged from wall socket, plugged back in 60 seconds later, and powered back up.

Coincidentally (?), my laptop recently stopped being able to find the printer on the network.

I'm kind of at a loss now. At this point, I basically have a very heavy, kind of expensive doorstop. Any help would be appreciated.

======================================

11/28/2021 - ETA: I have tried  number of additional things since posting on the 26th...

• I tried taking the network out of the picture by directly connecting my laptop to the printer via a USB cable. Interestingly enough, while the Control Panel app finds an installs the printer, the HP Print and Scan Doctor application does not. Also, while printing starts, nothing actually prints out.
  • Scanning to any media - computer or USB drive - doesn't work.
  • I tried to check for updates to the printer's firmware/software, but even though the printer self-connects to my WiFi, the attempt times out without connecting to the Internet.
  • The last thing that I've tried was to pull the cartridges out while the printer was 'on', close the door, pull the plug on the printer, plug it back in, reinstall the cartridges, and let the printer do its self-check. No change in symptoms.
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I've been hoping for some kind of response, if not from the HP Community, perhaps from one of the HP employees who hang out here... I realize there's been a holiday weekend involved, but I was kinda hoping for something by now. I've got a lot of printing, copying, and scanning to do in a very short while and having no printer is really stressing me out. {Rant over}

HP Recommended

Hi @LazerFlash,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are unable to copy or scan.

To assist better-

Is the printer connected to the wall outlet or power strip?

Can you try and make a copy with the lid up and check if the scanner bar lights and if it moves.

Try the below suggestions -

Reset the product

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Wait at least 60 seconds.

Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

Reconnect the power cord to the printer.

Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware -HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi, @Jay_24!

Thanks for responding. However, I would ask that you go back and reread my first two posts. They completely document what I've tried and what the symptoms of my problem are. I will admit that the only thing that I haven't tried is lifting the lid and attempting a copy. But, I can tell you that with this printer, you can see the lit scanner bar moving with the lid down. I will, however, try your suggestion.

LazerFlash

=================================

ETA1: I have attempted a copy with the lid up and I have a different symptom to report... With the lid up, the copy initiates and the while the scanner bar moves, it doesn't light up! However, once the bar finishes moving left-to-right, it goes back to the 'home' position and the scanner just sits in perpetual "Copying page 1/1...", indefinitely. This is different than trying to copy with the lid down, (as mentioned above), when the scanner bar doesn't move at all other than to try to initiate a copy.

=================================

ETA2: I have another symptom to report... On a lark, I attempted to print a photo directly from a USB thumb drive. The printer recognizes the thumb drive, allows me to select and prepare a photo. Hitting 'Print' sends the Control Panel display directly to "Printing page 1/1...", where it just sits forever until canceled. The scanner isn't involved at all in this process, is it

HP Recommended

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you contact HP support in your region regarding the service options for your printer

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

My printer is well out of warranty, even though I've not printed much more than a ream of paper and only scanned about a hundred images/documents. For $299 in 2018. Money really well-spent. 😠

So, to even talk to someone about resolving my issue, I will need to spend more money. And, I'm still not even assured that I will end up with a working printer/scanner/copier. 😠

Before the 7740, I had an HP C7250 that lasted almost 14 years. And, you know what? It still prints, copies and scans. The only issues are now a complete unavailability of new ink and the appearance of some artifacts when the scanner/copier functions are used.

Good luck, HP... I'm not buying another printer from you again.

That said, thanks to the HP employees on here for taking the time to read through this thread. 😉

HP Recommended

I respect your decision.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Okay, so here's a plug for the older HP printers:

The HP Photosmart C7250 that I mentioned in this thread, is for the time being, my primary printer/copier/scanner. Even after sitting in a closet for the last 2-1/2 years, it still works acceptably well. I did need to buy some remanufactured ink cartridges and clean the print heads a couple of times. But, I can print, copy, and scan - which is more than my not even 3 year old 7740 can do right now.

I do plan on calling HP Technical Support to find out if there's a certified repair center near me, since I really don't want to just throw away my $300+ investment. However, as I stated previously, when the time comes to buy a new printer, it won't be an HP. 😠

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.