Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I tried and failed to set up the OfficeJet Pro 8610 for my cousin such that she could send a fax from her Windows 10 computer. The 8610 is connected to the wireless network. I deleted all the printer devices associated with the 8610 (I didn't know what had already been installed) and then installed the HP "driver" software. First I tried the "basic" package (my apologies, this is from memory, so I don't remember the exact text). The installation file I used was "Basic_Webpack_x64-116-Basic_Webpack_x64.exe". I had to choose how the printer is connected. I chose "Wireless". Then I had to specify the IP-address, which my cousin supplied. I rejected the option to install some sort of "advanced" package. The installation seemed to complete successfully.

After finishing the installation of the "basic" package there was no device with "(fax)" in the name, but rather only a "plain" printer entry for the 8610.

According to the manual, it is possible to send a fax from the computer "without printing a copy and faxing it from the printer". The instructions continue with

1. Open the document
  2. On the File menu click Print
  3. From the Name list, select the printer that has "fax" in the name

But there is no printer with "fax" in the name.

Next I re-installed the basic package, this time opting to install the "advanced" package, which I think was "Full_Webpack-116-Full_Webpack.exe". I declined to create an HP account for my cousin -- she already has enough accounts, and nothing on the list of "advantages" was worth the trouble. The installation seemed also to complete successfully.

However, after installation, there was still no printer in the list with "fax" in the name. There was only the "plain" entry for printing to the 8610.

How is this supposed to work?

-tru64unix

P.S. Afterwards I started the "HP Smart" software, and tried to scan, and was told that this function required an HP account. This can't be true, can it?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@tru64unix

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

As I understand, you're getting error while trying to send or receive a fax.

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue:

Check the fax number, connection setup, and settings when faxes do not send.

NOTE: For testing purposes, you can send a fax to the HP Fax Test Service at 1-**bleep**-HPFaxme (1-**bleep**-473-2963). This free service sends a return fax within 5 to 7 minutes when the fax is working properly. Your fax number must match the number you entered in the fax header to receive the return fax.

Step 1: Print a fax test report

To begin troubleshooting, print a fax test report to identify any issues with the printer, phone line connection, or fax settings. On the printer control panel, locate Run Fax Test or Fax Test Report in the Fax or Setup menus.

Review the report for any tests that failed and follow any instructions provided. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Redial the number and adjust sending settings

Confirm the following dialing requirements and fax settings to help identify issues when faxes do not send. Fax setup and preferences settings are in the Fax or Setup menus on the printer control panel.

• Manually dial the fax number: From the printer, dial the number as if you are making a phone call, including the area code, the access code such as '9' to connect to an outside line, and the long-distance country code. If dialing with speed dial, confirm the saved number has required pauses between numbers (adding a dash between 9 and the area code, for instance).

• Lower the fax speed: Select the slow or standard setting.

• Turn off Error Correction Mode: Turning off this feature can improve sending success when the phone line quality is poor, but the image quality of the received fax might be unsatisfactory. If this must be turned off to send faxes, have the phone service provider check the line quality.

• Send the fax in black and white: If a color fax cannot be sent, the receiving fax machine might not support the feature.

• Confirm the dialing type (tone or pulse): Most phone lines use tone dialing.

• Enable error reporting: Turn on the Fax Error Reports feature to print a report if an error occurs when sending or receiving a fax. If the report includes a numeric error code, go to Fax Error Codes and Solutions.

Step 3: Check the connection

Check for phone line connection issues that might be causing failed sent faxes.

• Call the fax number you are sending to from a phone: If you do not hear fax tones, the receiving fax machine might be turned off or disconnected.

• Confirm the fax setup: There are two phone ports on the rear the printer labeled 1-Line and 2-Ext. Connect the phone line to the 1-Line port, and connect the answering machine to 2-Ext.

Go to HP Printers - How to Fax for steps to set up your printer.

• Check the phone line: Connect a phone to the wall jack and try to make a call. If the call fails or there is no dial tone, check if another phone or device is keeping the line open. Additionally, if you hear static, there might be interference from nearby electrical appliances (motors, fans, kitchen appliances, or televisions) and/or coax cables, or there is an issue with the line quality that requires attention from your phone service provider.

• Use the fax cord that shipped with your printer: HP fax-capable printers ship with a two-wire phone cord. If you are using a different cord, confirm the connector does not have four wires. Shorter, higher quality cords work better than longer cords of lesser quality.

Connector on a two-wire fax cord

• Remove other devices from the phone line: Devices such as answering machines, modems, or other telephones might cause faxing issues.

Additional troubleshooting

If the previous steps do not resolve the issue, reset the printer, check for any hardware related issues, and restore the default fax settings.

NOTE: Re-add any printer settings and preferences that were removed after a reset or settings restore.

• Reset the printer: With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cable from the rear of the printer and the wall outlet, wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect the power cable.

• Check the scanner bar functionality: Lift the scanner lid slightly, and then press the Copy button or icon to start a copy job. If the scanner light does not move or illuminate, the scanner mechanism requires servicing.

• Restore fax settings to default: Restore factory default fax settings, and then run the fax setup wizard again

For more information, you can refer to this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00297388.

When attempting to use the HP Smart app on an Android device, you are unable to log in to or create an account. Click this link for further help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@Dilip_18 wrote:

@tru64unix

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

As I understand, you're getting error while trying to send or receive a fax.

Silly me. I had assumed that reading a forum entry would be a prerequisite to suggesting a solution to the problem described in it, but that is clearly not the case at HP.

HP Recommended

@tru64unix,

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

I apologize for the Inconvenience. Going forward, we are going to take steps to ensure that this situation does not happen again. 

Yes correct you need to have an HP account. 

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

apparently reading the original post is not necessary even to respond to criticism that you did not read the original post. very entertaining.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.