Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Can scan docs using HP Smart. But can not scan docs to computer from printer display. Error message on printer is connection unsuccessful. Using wireless connection and can print successfully. Printer Is connected directly to outlet. Installed Print and Scan Doctor 5.0. It is stuck on Windows (WIA) Scan. Advice please. Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings @ astonse, 

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to scan from your printer using your computer running on Window 10, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Are you using a dual band router?

Note: HP Printers do not work or connect to 5Ghz networks. If you are using a dual band router, please give different names to 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz networks and connect the printer to the 2.4Ghz network.

Have you tried to scan using the Printer Assistant (icon of the printer on your desktop.)

As print and scan doctor is unable to resolve the issue, request you follow the procedure mentioned below to uninstall the printer software and settings and reinstall it back.

Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files, ignore them).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt response.  Am running printer on 2.46hz network.  I can print using HP Smart, but wondered why I am unable to scan directly from the printer display panel.  I will uninstall/reinstall printer software to see if this enables this option.  Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and let me know that you are able to scan from your computer but you want to scan from the printer front panel. 

To enable scan to computer from the printer front panel. 

You would need to enable the option using the printer assistant. 

Printer Assistant is nothing but the icon of the printer on your desktop.

The icon gets created when full feature software of the printer is installed on your computer. 

If your printer is installed on a Windows PC, open the HP software, click Scanner Actions, click Manage Scan to Computer, and then click Enable.

Once scan to computer option is enabled from the Printer Assistant you should be able to use the scan button on the printer. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi.  One of the first things I tried was to ensure Enable Scan to Computer was enabled.  It is.  When I try to scan from printer, I can see my PC on the network.  It begins the scan process, but gives me a message that connection is unsuccessful and to make sure computer is  connected to the printer.  Since I can print over the network successfully, I am at a loss.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. Recommend you contact our phone support as they can take a remote of your computer and check the settings. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

For several weeks, I've been having similar difficulties trying to scan using the HP LaserJet MFP M426fdw (connected wirelessly). The printing functions worked perfectly. Yet, the basic scanning functions only worked if I went through HP Smart, but they were very basic — 300 dpi at most, no duplex scanning. My computer is running Intel Core i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30 GHz (x64-based processor) with Windows 10 Pro Version 1703 build 15063.674 (64-bit).

When running the HP Print and Scan Doctor to Find and Fix a Scanner Problem, the application would indicate an error during the Windows (WIA) Scan. It would then tell me to unplug the printer/scanner device for a few seconds, plug it back in, turn it on, and restart the computer. After restarting, the HP Print and Scan Doctor would automatically resume, but it still would indicate an error during the Windows (WIA) Scan. Even if I tried to skip over the error, it would indicate the HP Scan and the Test Scan passed, but the HP Scan application would load in the background with an error indicating HP LJ M426fM427f Scan not found.

I repeatedly verified that the following required services were running: Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), Remote Procedure Call (RPC), DCOM Server Process Launcher, and RPC Endpoint Mapper.

Here are the steps that ultimately solved the problem for me:

1. Go to Programs and Features
  2. Uninstall
    a) HP LaserJet Pro MFP M426f-M427f
    b) HP LJ M426fM427f Scan HP Scan
    c) HP Smart
    d) I.R.I.S. OCR
    e) HP Dropbox Plug-In
    f) HP Google Drive Plug-In
  3. Run C:\HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M426f-M427f\Utilities\Scrubber.exe as Administrator
  4. Press the Windows button + X then select Run, then type %temp% and enter to open the Windows temporary directory
  5. Select all of the files in that directory (Ctrl-A)
  6. Delete all of the files in that directory
  7. Empty the Recycle Bin
  8. Set firewall to trusted network (check the instructions for particular firewall software)
  9. Go to Device Manager
  10. Uninstall Devices and Related Drivers (item a should take care of items b-e)
    a) Printers -- HP LaserJet Pro MFP M426f-M427f PCL 6)
    b) Imaging Devices -- NPIA56DE9 (HP LaserJet MFP M426fdw)
    c) Print Queues -- NPIA56DE9 (HP LaserJet MFP M426fdw)
    d) Software Devices
          i) NPIA56DE9 (HP LaserJet MFP M426fdw)
          ii) NPIA56DE9 (HP LaserJet MFP M426fdw)
         iii) NPIA56DE9 (HP LaserJet MFP M426fdw)
    e) WSD Print Spooler -- NPIA56DE9 (HP LaserJet MFP M426fdw)
  11. Go to Devices and Printers
  12. Remove the device NPIA56DE9 (HP LaserJet MFP M426fdw), if it exists
  13. Restart the computer in Safe Mode (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode )
  14. After restarting, Press the Windows button + X then select Run, then type cmd.exe to open the Command Prompt
  15. Type sfc /scannow and enter to begin the scan and repair process, which might take 15 to 30 minutes to complete.
  16. Restart the computer as usual
  17. Find and download the printer firmware, if any
  18. Find and download the printer software and drivers
  19. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe
  20. Run the printer firmware, if any, as Administrator
  21. Once the process is finished, turn the printer off and back on again
  22.  Run the the printer software and drivers installer as Administrator
  23. Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor as Administrator, it should find your printer, select fix scanning problems.
  24. After the Windows (WIA) Scan error is discovered, unplug the printer for a few seconds as directed, plug it back in, turn it back on, and restart Windows.
  25. Be Patient! After Windows restarts, do not do anything. Simply let the HP Print and Scan Doctor process in the background (you can't see it working, but it is). It can take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes for it to complete the scans and repairs in the background. Have faith!
  26. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor finishes, click continue. It should finish the rest of the scans successfully, including the Windows (WIA) Scan.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.