Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Inkjet 3634 Instaink
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Can anyone tell me a pathway to talk to a live customer service rep? the Scenario:

I use my HP inkjet as a business printer at a small private mental health clinic that I run. I subscribed to insta-ink and have benefited from the subscription service. In November I was notified that my debit/credit card on file was going to expire and needed to be updated. I tried for weeks to do so through my personal insta-ink account. The update billing page allowed me to change my billing address or create a paypal account but it did not allow me to change debit/credit card info. I tried repeatedly to contact HP for help with this matter and could find no live assistance.  At the onset of December, when my debit card expired, HP hijacked my printer. I cannot use it to print or scan! I have no outstanding subscription debt. I have two spare cartridge packets on hand. But the printer that I purchased is now commandeered by HP and my work has been severely disrupted. I have tried repeatedly to get assistance from a live person. The phone assistance does NOT lead to live assistance. The virtual assistant is ZERO help. I cancelled my subscription hoping that the choke hold HP has on my PERSONAL OFFICE PRINTER would be loosened. No. The subscription will not be finally until Dec 16. To validate my story please see attached screen shot (change billing info -- no way to edit bank card). I am beyond dissatisfied. Any help or direction offered is greatly appreciated. At this point I have hours tied up in trying to rectify this situation.

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 9.47.52 AM.png

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@genfreechris 

Your printer has not been hijacked.

Short Answer

All you need to do is remove all the Instant Ink cartridges from the printer, purchase a set of HP ink cartridges, and install the new cartridges in the printer.

I will send your comments for Review.

Longer Answer

When the Instant Ink Print-by-Page subscription plan lapsed and the subscription / service terminated, the Instant Ink cartridges locked after the final paid billing cycle.  This is normal behavior.

You were not paying for the ink - ink was provided during your active subscription to the Instant Ink Print-by-Page plan.

Another way to say the same thing:

Ink is supplied during the time the subscription is active.  After the service is ended - for any reason - Instant Ink cartridges must be removed from the printer and replaced with HP ink cartridges that you provide (purchase).

All the details - how to cancel your subscription, for example - are explained at the HP Instant Ink website AND in your Terms of Service Contract.

Things that are Instant Ink 

HP Instant Ink - Main Website - Information, Enroll, FAQ, Terms of Service / Contract

Not your home site?  Click the Flag to change to your region.

Need Help?

Phone contact, where available, will be posted on the main website (front page).  For example, look for the contact number in the blue ribbon just beneath the introduction section / image.

Of Interest…

• Section Check to see if your HP printer works with Instant Ink
  • FAQ section > READ How does HP Instant Ink work? – Be sure to read all the FAQ sections.
  • The all-important Contract > Link is located below the FAQ section > Terms of Service Contract

NOTES: 

• It is NOT necessary that you be enrolled to read the contract
  • Contract:  Open the main website > Change region / flag > scroll down just past the FAQ
  • Cancellation  >> READ the Terms of Service Contract.
  • The Terms of Service contract also provides contact information, usually in the very first section.

Examples

Instant Ink - Terms of Service - USA

Instant Ink – Terms of Service - UK

TERMINI DI SERVIZIO DI HP INSTANT INK - Italy 

Instant Ink - Terms of Service - Ireland

CONDITIONS GENERALES D’UTILISATION DU SERVICE HP INSTANT INK - France

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP DeskJet 3634 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I had a chance to thoroughly review the advise given. I understand the "fine print". HOWEVER, even after I remove the printer cartridges and reset the printer, I still cannot utilize the printer. I can't even scan a document. Again, this seems like a an overreach on HP's part and I CAN NOT believe that I can't get any customer service interaction. Additional thoughts/comments are welcome.

HP Recommended

@genfreechris 

Well, I give the advice that I believe should solve the problem - I do regret when it doesn't work.

TKB Article contributed by HP JillSa

Cancelled Instant Ink service and now I can't print  

I get that giving advice that doesn't work makes you feel like you are getting nothing.

That you did get support after having called the Instant Ink support contact number is not what I expected.

Do not post here - save any notes you have on the conversation.

OK -

I checked your original post.

I cannot find the error you are receiving (might have missed it).

The specific error message might - or might not - make a difference to the result. 

Save any notes you have made on the subject.

One last try

Source:  Comments in the TKB

1. Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.
  2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  3. Remove USB cable, if present.
  4. Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  5. Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  6. Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.
  7. Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

What else?

This is not my area of expertise.

I am passing this issue to Review.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Request for Review

• I have submitted a request that our Community moderators review your question / concern.

Worth Noting

• Our Community is not an HP business group.
  • We are not HP Technical Support, nor are we HP Sales, Service, or Warranty.
  • Our request for assistance on your behalf does not influence the outcome:  Our request is not a magic back door into HP Support.
  • The time frame (how long it takes) for a response is not controlled by the Community.
  • If / When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you. 

Important

• Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”.  Vermin are looking for victims – don’t be next.
  • Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data. 
  • Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from rats and scammers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice and thoughtful tone. 😉  

I'm sorry to say that my printer is still rendered useless at this time. My frustration is two-fold:

1. I tried repeatedly to update my billing information and could not do so online.

2. Absolutely no live customer service interface.

Peace and safety to you as well.

HP Recommended

@genfreechris 

We've been told that the Customer Service / Instant Ink website provides phone access to Support.

I've never tried it - I don't subscribe.

I am sorry that you cannot get through.

I've asked for help.

When there is a response, you will read about it here before anyone tries to contact you using other means.

Hang in there and stay well.

Reminder:  The Community is not a business group of HP

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.