Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6500A Plus
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I unplugged my Printer a month ago and when i restarted and tried adding a printer, it only shows as a fax machine. Tried different help topics, nothing seems to work. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Swissmizz

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that your HP Officejet 6500A Plus Printer will not re-add to the Mac as a printer, only as a fax machine. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution' if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I understand the frustration you're experiencing. HP does not have Full Feature Software and Drivers for Mac OS X 10.10. Apple has a Software Update driver for the HP Officejet 6500 E710n, but it is the Print driver only.

That being said. I recommend we reset the Printing System and re-add the printer using the Apple Update Driver. 

Reset the Print System:

To start, I am going to have you Reset the Print System on your Mac. Please click here for instructions on how to perform the Reset. When the website opens follow the steps under'Resetting the printing system in OS X Lion' as the steps are the same for Mac OS X 10.10. This Reset will remove every printer from your Mac. However, it does not uninstall the printers. Therefore, should you use other printers on this Mac, once the Reset is complete simply ensure that the printers are connected via a USB Cable or Network connected and (+) Add them back in. Do not add your HP Officejet in at this time.

Verify and Repair your Disk Permissions on the Mac:

1. Open Macintosh HD and go to Applications
  2. Go to the Utilities Folder
  3. Open the Disk Utility
  4. Select the Hard Drive volume you are using (usually on the left)
  5. Select Verify Disk Permissions
  6. Once that process is done, select Repair Disk Permissions

Once the reset is complete, reboot the Mac.

Uninstall Drivers and Software (if installed):

Next, please click here for steps on how to properly uninstall your printer. Once the site opens select the dropdown for 'Mac OS X v10.6, OS X v10.7, OS X v10.8, and OS X v10.9' and follow the steps under Method Two to complete the uninstall process.

Once the uninstall is complete, please continue on. 

Check for Apple Updates:

1. Go to Apple
  2. Select System Preferences
  3. Select Software Update
  4. Click Update Now
  5. Install your available updates
  6. Restart your computer

Add the Device:

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Print & Scan, and then check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list.

3. Click the name of your printer, click the minus sign (), and then delete the printer. 

4. Click the plus sign (), click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer,

5. Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Ensure that the Officejet driver is selected.

Image: Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

6. Click Add to add the printer to the list. Do not add the AirPrint driver.

7. Try printing again.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! Smiley Happy

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Swissmizz

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that your HP Officejet 6500A Plus Printer will not re-add to the Mac as a printer, only as a fax machine. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution' if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I understand the frustration you're experiencing. HP does not have Full Feature Software and Drivers for Mac OS X 10.10. Apple has a Software Update driver for the HP Officejet 6500 E710n, but it is the Print driver only.

That being said. I recommend we reset the Printing System and re-add the printer using the Apple Update Driver. 

Reset the Print System:

To start, I am going to have you Reset the Print System on your Mac. Please click here for instructions on how to perform the Reset. When the website opens follow the steps under'Resetting the printing system in OS X Lion' as the steps are the same for Mac OS X 10.10. This Reset will remove every printer from your Mac. However, it does not uninstall the printers. Therefore, should you use other printers on this Mac, once the Reset is complete simply ensure that the printers are connected via a USB Cable or Network connected and (+) Add them back in. Do not add your HP Officejet in at this time.

Verify and Repair your Disk Permissions on the Mac:

1. Open Macintosh HD and go to Applications
  2. Go to the Utilities Folder
  3. Open the Disk Utility
  4. Select the Hard Drive volume you are using (usually on the left)
  5. Select Verify Disk Permissions
  6. Once that process is done, select Repair Disk Permissions

Once the reset is complete, reboot the Mac.

Uninstall Drivers and Software (if installed):

Next, please click here for steps on how to properly uninstall your printer. Once the site opens select the dropdown for 'Mac OS X v10.6, OS X v10.7, OS X v10.8, and OS X v10.9' and follow the steps under Method Two to complete the uninstall process.

Once the uninstall is complete, please continue on. 

Check for Apple Updates:

1. Go to Apple
  2. Select System Preferences
  3. Select Software Update
  4. Click Update Now
  5. Install your available updates
  6. Restart your computer

Add the Device:

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Print & Scan, and then check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list.

3. Click the name of your printer, click the minus sign (), and then delete the printer. 

4. Click the plus sign (), click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer,

5. Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Ensure that the Officejet driver is selected.

Image: Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

6. Click Add to add the printer to the list. Do not add the AirPrint driver.

7. Try printing again.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! Smiley Happy

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks Drakster! Your fix worked! I'd almost given up. Cheers!

HP Recommended

I have tried the approach suggested by Dragster but when I go to the disk utility it does not have an option to Verify Disk permissions.  I am on El Capitan 10.11.4.

I also tried to enter the printer directly using the web address but it comes up with an error, "Unable to verify the printer on your network. Unable to connect to ‘192.168.1.74’ due to an error. Would you still like to create the printer?"  I can create it but it does not print.

HP Recommended

Can anybody help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.