Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

My HP ENVY photo printer/scanner 6255 works fine by itself and the scanner works with the Windows 10 PC. I have tired downloading drivers and running the HP Scan and Print Doctor 5.0.7 but nothing works. Device manager has the scanner icon (I think..looks like the printer icon)  but when running the scan doctor it stops when I try to make the printer the default printer. I suspect windows 10, not the printer but have tried everything I can find on the internet and HP support sites and I know just enough to be dangerous. Any suggestions?  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Suggest checking the IP addresses of the printer and PC and router.  The setup instructions for the printer likely describe how to find what the IP address is, and should also describe how to set the DHCP to "automatic".   It may be that the printer settings change it's IP address whenever it's turned on; that address change is likely why Windows 10 sees the printer as "offline".

HP Recommended

thanks GBUD27,  I checked the DHCP and it is running (automatic). Not sure what you mean about the IP addresses. 

HP Recommended

Use the printer's console, find the settings menu and print the "network configuration page".  Look for "IP Address" on the left side of the page and directly across the page will be a number like this:  "192.169.86.34".  Those MUST match the IP address found for the printer on your PC.  To find out if it does, on the PC, Windows 10, go to "Start/Settings/Devices/"

and select "Printers and Scanners" then select the "name" of your printer and click "Manage".  Then click "printer properties" 

and check the "location" : e.g., http://192.169.86.34:xxxx  (the xxxx may not match, but that's ok).  

If the address reported by the printer and the location for the printer that the Windows 10 is looking for are not the same, then that is why the printer is reported as "off line".   To correct this, my first suggestion is to leave the printer powered on, and  remove it from the list of printers on your PC.  After removing it, add a printer and let Windows 10 search for the printer.  When it finds it, Windows 10 will set the location to the proper address.

If the problem recurs after power is cycled on the printer and/or pc, then the router is likely not set for DHCP.  Follow the router instructions to enable DHCP.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.