Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

changed my email password now it won't scan to email. where do i fix this?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@TriSeanK

I reviewed your post and I understand that scan to email is not working after changing the email password.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and update the password in scan to email authorization and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05519493

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks i don't think these instructions are right. The error message i see is "username or password is incorrect. ensure both user account and password are valid"

i already allow less secure apps. 

HP Recommended

@TriSeanK

Are you scanning from the printer front panel or the EWS page?

Thanks!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i am trying to use the panel where I select my email address/name from a list. since i changed my email password it won't let me do it.

HP Recommended

@TriSeanK

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

this has taken weeks and the final answer is to contact customer support? my 1 year warranty is up they don't serve you if it is expired

HP Recommended

This feels like a really simple thing to fix. Is there no way to use the community to answer this question? i can't get suppor from HP since i am out of warranty

HP Recommended

@TriSeanK

I recommend you reconfigure your email following the below steps.

Step 1: Set up Scan to Email

1. Locate the product’s IP address. The IP address can be found on the control panel:

2. Enter the product's IP address into a web browser address line. Press the Enter key on the computer keyboard.

Figure : Example of an IP address in a browser window

The product's Embedded Web Server (EWS) home page displays.

Figure : Example of EWS home page

3. Click the Scan tab.

Figure : Example of scan screen

4. On the left navigation pane, click Scan to Email Setup.

5. On the Redirecting to Secure Page dialog box, click OK.

The Redirecting to Secure Page dialog box indicates that the browser is being redirected to a secure Web page. The information on the secure Web page will be encrypted for protection and privacy purposes.

The Web browser might display a message about the Web site's security certificate. Since the Web page is secure, click Continue to this website.

6. Click on the Scan to Email Setup.

Figure : Example of Outgoing Email Profiles screen

7. On the Scan to Email Setup screen, complete the following:

• Default From: The email address that will display as the sender of the email.

Example: robert.smith@mycompany.com

• Default Display Name: The name that will appear on the product control panel when the scan to email function is used.

Example: Robert Smith

• SMTP Server: The SMTP server address for the network.

• SMTP Port: The SMTP port number is set to 25 by default.

SMTP server addresses typically have this format: smtp.company.com or smtp.provider.com. SMTP server addresses may also contain a number or a geographic location.

NOTE: 

If you are unsure of the SMTP server address, check with your IT department, Internet service provider, or email service provider.

NOTE: 

The SMTP port number is set to 25 by default. You should not need to change it. However, if this setting if different from the default, your IT department or Internet service provider should be able to provide to correct setting.

• Email Log-in Authentication: This information is required only if the email system or Internet service provider require additional security authentication. The User ID and password for email log-in authentication are encrypted. The product control panel will only display the sender's email address and the display name when the scan to email function is used.

Figure : Example of Outgoing Profiles screen completed:

To test the configuration, use the Outgoing Email Test feature at the button of the screen, add a destination email address, and then click on Save and Test.

Figure : Example of Outgoing Email Test

NOTE: 

If the test fails, make sure to have a DNS address in the printer network configuration, this can be checked by going into the Network menu either on the EWS or the printer's front panel.

Step 2: Use the Scan to Email feature

1. From the Home screen on the product control panel, touch Scan.

2. Touch Email.

3. Select the From address.

4. To add a subject line to the email, touch the Subject button. Use the keyboard displayed on the control panel to type the subject and then touch Done.

5. To enter the To address, touch the To button, and then:

• Select the email address from the list of saved email addresses.

• Touch New Email and use the keyboard displayed on the control panel to type the email address.

Touch Done.

6. Load the document onto the scanner glass or into the document feeder, and then touch Start Scan.

The email is sent once all pages have been scanned.

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks. No matter what i try it says the smtp email and password don't match

Everything looks perfect but every time i type or paste my email password into the SMTP password field it turns red and won't even let me test it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.