Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having a maddening issue attempting to use my HP ENVY scanner post Windows 10 upgrade.  I've freshly installed software and drivers off of the HP site as instructed, but my laptop seems unable to detect the scanner when using HP software.  I've tried both the hpscan.exe and also HP scan extended.  When launching either program, I'm immediately greeted with an "unable to communicate with scanner" message.

The HP Print and Scan Doctor will show my printer and scanner as two separate devices.  The first device is listed as the printer bonjour name and has something like a MAC address shown below.  The second device is listed as the device host name shows an IP address below.

Quite often only the second option (Host name + IP address) is visible.  This will progress through the doctor scan without any problems (I hear the scanner operating).  However, at the end when I try to scan a test page, I'm greeted with the unable to communicate message again.

When the printer option does show, the doctor scan will progress until eventually a separate "select device" window pops up.  This window again gives me a choice between my printer and the equivalent host name for the printer.  It's worth noting that the choice with the printer name is listed as manufactured by HP and the description shows "HP ENVY 45200 series (NET)" afterward.  The second option (with the device host name) shows Microsoft as the manufacturer  and in the description says "WSD Scan Device".  If I choose the HP option, the process completed with no audible scanning sounds, I'm given the option to perform a test scan, but I again get the "unable to communicate message".  If I choose the "WSD" option, I hear audible scanning, but when attempting to scan a test page I still get the "unable to communicate message".

It's worth noting that if I launch the Windows Scan utility and choose the second option (WSD scan device) the HP scanner will work and I'll be able to scan.  I'd like to run the HP software instead, though, and apparently it won't give me a choice of scanner option when launching (even though, both options are for the same scanner of course).

I've tried uninstalling all software and drivers and then re-installing, but I end up in the same situation.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@doesntmatter11, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to scan from the computer. Let us try these steps to isolate the issue.

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  • Try scanning from this EWS page and check if it works.

Do you have any anti-virus installed on the computer?

Are you able to print fine?

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.