Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 5075 All-in-One printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Scanning is not working with HP Smart application installed in HP ProBook 450 G7 notebook. There is the error message (in Czech) "The scanner is in use. Please try again when available." or the error message "Scanner problem detected. Restart the printer and try again. If the problem persists, visit the HP Customer Support Web site". However, the scanning is working directly from the printer or using other scanning applications, the problem is with HP Smart only.

I tried all the possible fixing methods described in HP Support including HP Print and Scan Doctor without success. Also the factory reset of the printer, the restart of the notebook, the restart of the wifi router have no effects on the issue. The drivers are actual. So it seems to be an HP Smart application issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There was a bug in HP Smart. The last update of HP Smart resolved the scanning issue,  Thanks to HP.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@prvanek 

Could be "just HP Smart".

One Idea:

Latest versions of the HP Smart application (for both Windows and Mobile) require that you be signed in to use scan.

Example - HP Smart - Windows - Main Menu

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_3HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_3

Example - HP Smart - Mobile - Main Menu

HP_Smart_Mobile_Main_Menu_4HP_Smart_Mobile_Main_Menu_4

References / Resources

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTES: 

• Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues
  • Latest versions of HP Smart require that you be signed into the application

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dear Dragon-Fur,

Thanks for your ideas.

I have checked it, I am signed in HP Account. It is seen in HP Smart window. I tried to sign out and sign it again, the scanning issue persits. 

I used suggestions in Support Home, no success. Print and Scan Doctor tells that all is OK. 

All other functions in HP Smart are working, the problem is with scanning only.

Premysl

HP Recommended

@prvanek 

You are welcome.

"Scanner is in use" might indicate the process is active but not actually connecting.

?

If you have not done so, consider restarting everything, including your network router.

What else?

Try this version of the Doctor.

Offline Doctor V5.0.6

HPPSdr_5.0.6.exe

• Download and Save the doctor to your computer
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to the folder in which you saved the file (likely Downloads)
  • Execute the doctor – Answer any prompts /  let the process complete
  • Restart the computer, log in, and wait for the final steps in the Doctor to finish.
  • Check for any difference.

Original Notes – Contributed by ShlomiL

Paraphrased

Connection Issues

• Print and Scan Doctor Version 5.0.6 creates a secondary queue for printing with TCP/IP port.

After the Offline Doctor completes…

Verify / Adjust the “Default” printing device (Default Printer)

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

OR

Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on printer > Set printer as Default

NOTES – Selecting Default Printer 

1. Do not select the printer marked as “Scan Only / DO NOT DELETE”
  2. Do not select the printer marked as “Fax”

Example Default Printer:  Set “Default” Printer = HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3 (Net)

ReferenceHP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows) > Step 2: Manually set the default printer

==============================================================================

What else?

Try an alternative scan application.

HP Scan and Capture - Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have tried the above described procedure with Offline Doctor V5.0.6, without success. Again the same error messages at scanning. I have no problems with connection or with printing, only with scanning.

Premysl

HP Recommended

There was a bug in HP Smart. The last update of HP Smart resolved the scanning issue,  Thanks to HP.

HP Recommended

I think my country does not have the update. It  still says scanning is unavailable. But I can scan using diferent apps.

HP Recommended

I had to reinstall HP Smart. Try it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.