Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Office jet 250 mobile
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello and help, I have the above printer/ scanner connected via usb cable to Laptop, lenovo idea pad. I have run the scan doctor because I am not able to scan to computer from my 250 printer. I am living aboard a boat, need to connect to my printer via USB cable. Currently I am trying to use wifi as well, neither is successful.

Problem: Driver error

Remedies taken so far: Uninstalled and reinstalled latest drivers

Updated windows 10 64 bit system for latest updates

Retried several reboots

Printer is not seeing the computer and the computer is not seeing the printer for diagnostics, scanning

Checked wifi connection on printer, all good, checked that printer and laptop are connected to the same wifi

Have spent hours with online chats trying to resolve this problem and whilst on shore did manage to get scanning working with terrestial broadband and HP smart app, however the moment I return aboard, nothing works ref scanning. This should not be a problem with a USB connection but this is when I come up with the driver error. I have installed HP Smart but this says scanning is not available/connectivity issues.

In the past I have been able to scan using both laptop and printer, via the USB cable.

I can still print from computer to printer, no problems there via USB cable.

Your suggestions would be most welcome. Marling

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

Can you uninstall any software and then reinstall the HP FULL software solution?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-250-mobile-all-in-one-printe...

Connect the USB only when prompted.

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I will have to go ashore with both laptop and printer to do this, not easy when Caribbean island has shut  seated access to hospitality venues, more challenges! I did uninstall and reinstall latest full version software, twice, under guidance from HP chat support, this has not sorted the problem once aboard our boat. The solution only worked whilst connected to terrestial broadband ashore through HP Smart app, again not much use aboard. I need a solution that will work via a USB without wifi connections so I can scan, health, customs and immigration documents. Of course I will need to send them at some point. 

I will certainly use your advice about only connecting the usb when prompted, I have usually plugged it in as part of the set up so perhaps too early.

Any other suggestions very gratefully received, I am not very tecky!

Kind regards, Marling

HP Recommended

HI,

Following on from my last question to the community and further very extensive trials with driver downloads, I still have the problem of not being able to scan from my Officejet mobile 250 all-in-one device to my computer. This is extremely disappointing because this is precisely why we bought this model.

I get Driver error when I run the Scan Doctor for scanning, saying the device is not connected whether this is via USB cable(preferred) or wireless connection. The laptop says there is no connection as does the printer.

I ran the network configuration page, says wireless connected but also says I cannot use device wireless function because it is disabled. I cant find out how to enable it and more to the point will this enable scanning from the 250 to the laptop?

Other error messages say OCR application not installed on computer, again where and how do I find this and will this help?

On laptop it says HP officejet 250 not found when I try to scan from  printer to computer.

All these problems seem to stem from a windows update?? I have the same HP scanning issues with my printer back home, I would guess it stopped working around September/October 2020.

is this a hardware problem, have the USB leads or internal connections stopped working, how would I test this? I have tried 2 different usb connections.

To confirm OS windows 10 home, 64 bit.

The other problem I now have is that normal windows print function requires me to save already saved documents and will not print them unless I go through the HP Smart app with wifi. As explained before I live aboard a boat and the wifi signal is often poor to non-existent, so this is not a great option for me. To get  it working I must put the laptop and the printer in waterproof bags, dinghy ashore, find a bar and hope their signal is good enough, definitely not what I paid good money for, very disappointed.

I look forward to your help!! Marling

HP Recommended

Hi,

Spoiler
I ran the network configuration page, says wireless connected but also says I cannot use device wireless function because it is disabled. I cant find out how to enable it and more to the point will this enable scanning from the 250 to the laptop?

This is not good.

Will request a HP Admin who will send you a Private message to Reset the printer.  Look out for the private message at the top right hand corner (Envelope icon) on the instructions.

After the reset, uninstall all drivers from your laptop and download and install the HP FULL software. (if you have the downloaded previously, then use the file).

How to Scan to Computer  (Not sure if this printer supports Scan to computer though)

Once you have installed the software:

1. Click on the printer Icon (on your desktop) and it will bring up the HP Printer Assistant.
2. Under the Scan menu, there is a “Manage Scan to Computer”, click on that.
3. Make sure that you “Enable” Scan to Computer. Also make sure the tab “Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows” is checked if you want to make this feature permanent. (the following video will show you how)

Scan to Computer 

How to use "Scan to Computer" properly 

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help, much appreciated, I will await HP support email.

Have a blessed day,

Marling

HP Recommended

@Marling, Welcome to HP Support Community!

The only option left is to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. 

I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset, and re-initialize the printer. 

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have managed the semi reset on the printer.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the HP Smart drivers for mobile 250 series  the only version I could find other than the basic drivers and and the printing and scan DR download,.

I have run the Scan DR but when asked to choose the device I have 3 Mobile 250 options, none of their details exactly match the IP Address or service ID, so I am working my way through each of them. The first failed the driver test, the second passed that but has literally been stuck for hours on the Windows WIA scan operation. Not sure whether it is worth hanging on or starting again with that one.

Checking in Scan Dr Status info, says Printer internet connection not available BUT I have a solid blue WIFI light to left of printer, and no problems showing on wifi symbol on home screen.

I followed the set up instructions regarding setting up the wifi connections on the printer during install.

I did manage to scan via webservices but not from the scan option on the printer to computer, something I could do before this all went wrong. I tried the USB connection option when prompted to do so that didn't work either, printer/computer not found error.

So frustrating , having spent hours days even trying to sort this out, but deeply grateful for your continued help

Kind regards,

Marling

HP Recommended

Hi Again,

I have opened the Printer assistant option, found the correct IP address and clicked on the Print and scan option. I only get the print menu options not the scan options. And in the comms between laptop and printer it says the connection has been lost, so I am unable to manage scan to computer options. Please see previous reply for wifi status.

This is so frustrating, having spent hours and days trying to reslove this problem but I am very grateful for your continuing help.

What are the options now?

Kind regards,

Marling

HP Recommended

Third email! I have tried re-running the scan Dr which now says it has failed to extract CAB and will not run.

Do you have another way of sorting these problems out like remote support or an local agent who could fix the problems if they are fixable? We are currently in Grenada but could visit other Caribbean islands.

Currently I feel like feeding the printer to the fishes!

Marling

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.