cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
BlackSenator
Level 1
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Solution: get Officejet 6700 scanner working again

HP Recommended
OfficeJet 6700 Premium

I have had intermittent problems with the scan unit for years. Whenever "Orig. Ins."* instead of the date/time at the bottom of the display apeared, I knew that scanning and copying would not work again.

* direct translated from German - might be a differend text in English

I´m sure that I have already had a lively discussion about it here in this forum. Interestingly, you can no longer find these posts - any more than other older posts on the same topic.

In summary, the help offered by HP can be reduced to the same - and as one reads - useless - instructions:

- Firmware update and an

- "extended" reboot with complicated instructions for disconnecting and plugging in the power cable then (it sounds like an incantation rite)
This is all nonsense!

As already mentioned, when "Orig. Ins." was displayed, then at some point I dropped the scanner lid out of anger and suddenly the scanner unit was working again. So it was like hitting the TV in the 50s to get better tuning.
This is all the rocket science! It's a purely mechanical problem!

Unfortunately it is the case that you cannot really give the scanner carriage a push to free it from the "jam".

Today I got my thesis confirmed: I dismantled the printer until I was holding the scanner slide in my hand. When I plugged the ribbon cable back in and started the printer (still disassembled!) everything worked perfectly: scanner motor moved forward and backward and than display showed the normal state.

Not surprisingly, HP designed the printer in such a way that it is absolutly not easy to dismantle and reassemble it (right to repair? NO!). Everything is clunky and the scanner slide got stuck again during reassembly.
You can find a couple of videos on youtube that show how to replace the print head. These are the same tips that you need to dismantle the scanning unit with cover. With a bit of imagination you can get further to get to the inside of the scan unit. No fear!
If you work slowly and deliberately and don't break plastic noses, you are on the right track!

It took me a total of three attempts before I gently had everything back in place.
Most important tips:
a) place the scanner carriage in the middle of the flatbed!

b) remove any fingerprints on the scanner glass with isopropanol
c) snap everything into place gently and smooth without excessive force (otherwise the scanner slide got stuck again during reassembly)
c) only then (!) start the printer
d) during booting, the scanner slide is moved back and forth to the end points and hopefully it doesn't get the idea again that it shouldn't move any further

Good luck and don´t have too much fun

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation