Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 6520 Series
Chrome OS

I am suddenly getting this message when I try to save a scanned document to my Acer Flip Chromebook. "Failed : Server could not find the file" and other times "Unknown network error". I have tried turning Webscan off and on. Turning printer off and on, All solutions I can possibly think of. I can print both wirelessly or with Chromebook plugged into printer, but cannot save a scan. I see the scan in the preview but when attempting to save in Folder I get those error messages. I understand this is an older machine, but it still works with older Windows 10 computer too. Just prefer the Chromebook as that is what I use the most. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@geezer34, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that trying to print a document  Chromebooks from webscan.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Set up an HP printer with a Chromebook for a wireless or wired connection.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer and would like to know how to scan from your Samsung Chromebook. 

Because the Chrome OS on your Chromebook is a mobile operating system, you can't install the normal software and drivers that you could on a regular Windows or Mac computer.

That being said, you can scan to your Chromebook using the Webscan feature located in your printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS). Note: The printer must be setup on your network to do this.

First, you'll need your printer's IP address. You can find this by printing a Network Configuration page from your printer. Here are the steps.

On the Network configuration page, you will see an IP address (or IPv4 address).

Here are the steps to scan using Webscan on your Chromebook.

1. Open your Google Chrome internet browser.

2. In the address bar, type in the printer's IP address from your config report, and press enter. The embedded web server should open.

3. Click the tab at the top that says Scan.

4. Click Webscan on the left-hand side.

5. You can customize your scan settings on this page, when you are done, click Scan at the bottom.

6. Right-click on the scanned image to save the document

Please follow the HP Printers - Printing from a Chromebook  link 

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

@Praveenbv,

You misunderstood the problem. It's scanning, not printing, on Chromebooks where the problem is ocurring. Others are having this problem as well. I think HP may have updated something and it's broken. Yeah... could be Google, but I suspect HP.

HP Recommended

Hi@geezer34, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.