Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177 fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, first question so thanks in advance for your help and patience.

I've got a LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw, which is an all-in-one machine. A few days ago, it unexpectedly stopped scanning. The HP Scan software goes to the preview page when you press "Scan", but the scanner does not respond. The scanner screen says "Calibrating" for a few seconds, then returns to the default screen. The HP Scan software just sits there, never showing any preview (because nothing scanned) and also never indicating any errors.

I've tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor software and it runs the "Fix Scanning" tests, EXCEPT for the "Windows (WIA) Scan" test. It states "The Scan process is cancelled by the user." I didn't skip anything, of course. I just ran the software.

The print functions work great. Windows can see the printer on the wifi network no problem. I've tried connecting directly via USB as well and can print but not scan, so no change there. I also tried updating the firmware (currently 20180130 version), but the updater fails. It doesn't give any helpful info, just says ""HP Device Update cannot proceed."

Also something I think is valuable to share... if you power off/unplug the machine then power it back up you can hear what I think are the scanner mechanisms moving. So I don't believe it's got a bad servo or probably other hardware problems. I feel more like the firmware got corrupted somehow, although everything I can see in the menu and other functions seem fine.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I will add that I've already taken the following steps...

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled FULL HP software
  2. Restarted the router (also I can access the printer's settings in the web browser at its local IP address)
  3. Full unplug/restart of printer/scanner.
  4. Full reboot of computer.
  5. Tried confirming issue from 2nd PC on the same network.
  6. Reset printer/scanner to default settings via the menu on the device. (Then set up the network connection again).

Thanks

HP Recommended

Oh! I also verified that the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) service is running and set to "Automatic".

HP Recommended

Argh! I've figured it out. The scanner bulb is burned out. I open the lid and press "Copy" but the light just barely flickers. The scan head moves about a half inch toward the glass, pauses, then returns to the home position.

Where can I buy the scanner/light/bulb assembly? There is pretty much nothing available in the HP parts store.

This still doesn't explain why the firmware won't update. Not that it really matters if I can't scan...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.