Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 4650 from Lenovo laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Where can I find old simple HP scanner software from about the year 2016?

I have a lot of analog photos to scan individually.

This software was clunky-looking and very simple to use and was absolutely perfect for scanning several different photos from selected areas of the one scanned screen.

I have hung on to it carefully to use instead of the more modern HP stuff which is a lot more complicated and just doesn't seem to easily do what I need.

Unfortunately it was deleted during a printer tidy-up yesterday. Is there anywhere I could find it?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Trisha17 

==============================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Reminder to those reading:

Do NOT respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

These might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

HP does not post phone numbers or email in Community messages.

==============================================================

No "DeskJet" in this series.

Assuming, instead, that you have the OfficeJet 4650.

HP Scan is part of the Full Feature Software.

The only installation package available is quite a bit newer than 2016.

That said, the reason for the updated release includes removal of a security vulnerability. 

The "essential" driver remains unchanged.

===================================================================

For Windows

If you have not done so, download-save-install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver for the printer

Full Driver / Full Feature Software does not require a sign-in to use the software.

Use this wrapper to install the software

HP Easy Start

• Download-and-Save the printer software (Full Feature Software / HP Smart / Easy Start)
  • Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation
  • Reminder:  If using Easy Start, select the Full Driver

Easy Start...

About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full Driver" set (as opposed to the basic driver).

Any...

If using USB:  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (near the last part of the driver installation)

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

Full driver provides print and scan functions.

===================================================================

What else?

I recognize the feature you describe.

IF the HP Scan in the printer software lacks the "Auto Detect" option that can grab images from a document page,

Consider / Try

After the printer software is fully installed (and After the Restart / login),

Add this subset: "HP Scan Extended"

After HPSE is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

HP Scan Extended

• Download-Save-Install >  HP Scan Extended 
  • HPSE is a subset an older Full Feature Software suite. 
  • HPSE features are very similar to the HP Scan Software released after 2015.
  • Although HPSE appears to be a separate software, HPSE is dependent on the infrastructure provided by the Full Feature Software.  The Full Feature Software for your printer should be installed before installing and using HPSE.
  • OPTIONAL:  Add HP Scan Extended shortcut to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start
    • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Scan Extended\bin
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Pin to Taskbar
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Send to Desktop (Create a Shortcut)
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Pin to Start

• HP Scan Extended features include (and are not limited to): Single, Multiple scans, Image and PDF scans, Email as PDF / JPEG, Source selection, Page Size choices include Auto-Detect (extracts image / document boundary).  Might include OCR (Save as Editable Text).

Example - HP Scan Extended - Save as JPEG - Auto Detect Size

HP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1HP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for all of that, Dragon Fur. Just doing a backup before trying it. Part of problem is that, because of Covid, I will probably not be re-united with that particular printer, which is where I got the original software, before next August, as I'm stuck in another country. However, I will shortly try it on one of the printers I use here, a Photosmart 5525, which is the one I am currently trying to do the photo scanning on. Will get back to you.

HP Recommended

@Trisha17 

You are welcome.

OK - different printer and different software.

Easy Start knows about a lot of different printer software - maybe for this printer or maybe not.

Might be best for this older printer to download-save-install the exact software for the printer you are using.

Full Feature Software

HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers 

Basic Instructions

• Download-and-Save the Full Feature Software / Print and Scan Driver and Accessories or HP Easy Start Printer Setup for your Operating System version.
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

• For printer supporting OCR, be sure not to remove the option to install with the full driver.  OCR will be available as “Scan as Editable Text” in HP Scan (part of the full driver software).

• If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation.  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).

• Both the HP Smart Application and the Full Feature Software can be installed on the same computer – when available, consider installing Full Feature Software first.

====================================================================

What else?

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTES: 

• Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues
  • HP Smart requires that you be signed into the application with your HP Account credentials.

====================================================================

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Well, I have had a bash at all that, downloading from the UK site, which possibly makes a difference. I found the Full Feature Software again but didn't seem to be able to find any options or offers of Print and Scan Driver and Accessories. Didn't want the hassle of deleting the printer and re-installing - gawd only knows what situation I might have ended up in. And, happily, my clunky old print and scan software has been found lurking in the guts of my laptop - I am thrilled and can get on with scanning my photos easily again.

HP definitely needs to re-offer scanning software that lets you drag boundaries round the one scanned page in order to save separate areas of it without rescanning.

I will unfortunately have to re-install the Officejet 4650 next time I manage to get to the UK. I rashly deleted all its stuff when I bought another printer which I now don't want. I didn't realise the new one was only a single sheet feed - I always need a flatbed. The 4650 had been unused for several months and the ink must have settled in the cartridges, so I thought it was broken. Tried shaking them but that didn't work. Will need to re-install it and try again with new cartridges.

It has a WiFi connection and I had terrible problems getting the scanning going. Had to spend literally hours on the phone to HP, who had to take over my computer in order to make it work. Am not looking forward to the re-installation!

Anyway, thanks for all your detailed info which I did study and use.

HP Recommended

@Trisha17 

You are welcome.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.