Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw

I'm trying to select the paper size LEGAL for scanning a legal-size document that is cut off with letter-size, and scanner does not auto-detect. LEGAL is not an option on the printer software selection menu. I'm running macOS Venture 13.1, and firmware version CLRWTRXXXN002.2247A.00 on the printer. The paper settings in the HP mobile app state for both trays 1 and 2 "any size". Why is something so simple so difficult to accomplish, HP?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello Arlgal91,

One alternative will be to install HP Smart on your computer so you can have more options. One of the options is to set the source of the original and also the size of such document.

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

HP Smart for Mac does NOT have all the features that the app has for Windows. I was not able to scan 11x17 (A3/tabloid) from my wide format scanner using HP Smart. Had to add a driver using the Control Panel - Printers and Scanners. I don't trust the HP Smart app on Mac.

HP Recommended

You might need to go into Tray & Paper Management (maybe in the app, maybe on the front panel - not sure which will be better for your particular device). If you can get to Paper Settings, you can set Tray 1 for letter and Tray 2 for legal (or vice versa). Then you need to go in and change the default tray to be the one you want, e.g. you can have Tray 1 as default most of the time. But if you want to copy a legal size document, you would set the default tray to Tray 2, make your copy or print, then set the default back to Tray 1. You would think the printer would really auto-detect that.

At least, this is what I had to do with an Office Jet 7740 with a Mac. 

HP Recommended

It looked like I can modify paper size settings based on the tray in the mobile app, but there's no option to change to LEGAL size paper anywhere on the screen. Plenty of A4, etc paper settings though. I'll try this, but it seems like a colossal workaround to simply change the scanner settings to legal size--why it doesn't just pick this up automatically is another question I have for HP. 

HP Recommended

Correct--the desktop app for Mac is lousy.

HP Recommended

The HP software is lousy. Pass.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.