Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have the issue same OP. I'm using windows 10 OS. I tried all of your reccommendations but the issue persists. I made sure there was nothing obstructing the tray from going all the way in, made sure no paper was jammed, restarted the printer multiple times, installed the latest drivers including HP Print and Scan Doctor. My printer would say Printing but nothing would print and the close tray message won't go away. Can you please help or should I make a post of my own to help resolve this issue?

Edit: for some reason the forum is showing this as an independent post instead of a reply to an existing post like it was meant to be. Oh well. I'll just list my issue here then. 

Printer: OfficeJet Pro 6978

Can't get rid of "Close the tray" error message and when trying to print, it will say printing for ages but nothing would happen. Rest of the details are in my post above. Please help me.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @SagarRudrak, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 

I understand you are getting an error a paper tray is open on your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Try updating the printer firmware and check if it helps.

Link to update the printer firmware.

Try the steps recommended below.

Check for obstructions that prevent the input tray from closing

Remove any paper or other obstructions from underneath the printer and inside the gap where the input tray slides into.

1. Press the Power button to turn off the printer.

2. Grasp the handle on the input tray, and then pull the tray toward you to open it.

Figure : Pull to open the paper tray

Image: Pull to open the paper tray
  3. Remove any loose sheets of paper from the input tray or any paper that blocks the photo tray.

4. Remove the output tray, and then set it aside.

Figure : Remove the output tray

Image: Remove the output tray
  5. Turn the printer onto its right side so you can access its underside.

6. Check the gap where the input tray was. Remove any loose paper or other obstructions in the gap. If any paper is jammed inside the gap, grasp the paper with both hands, and then pull the paper slowly but firmly toward you to remove it. Gently remove any jammed paper and bits of torn paper.

Figure : Turn the printer onto its right side, and then remove any obstructions

Image: Turn the printer onto its right side,  and then remove any obstructions

CAUTION:

Remove paper from the gap as carefully as possible. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the printer, a paper jam is likely to occur, which could damage the print mechanism.

7. Turn the printer back over to its normal position, and then reinsert the input tray, pushing it into the printer until it locks into place.

Figure : Push in the paper tray

Image: Push in the paper tray

NOTE:

The tray clicks into place when it is completely closed, and the printer makes noise.

8. Grasp the output tray by the sides, and then replace the output tray onto the input tray.

9. Press the Power button to turn on the printer.

10. Wait until the printer finishes warming up, and then check the control panel to see if the error message has cleared.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot A paper tray is open issues with your printer.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

It is a hardware issue with your printer.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps! 
Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my firmware was already up-to-date. I removed the bottom tray and found no bits of paper or any other object obstructing the tray. I checked the additional service options that you mentioned and turns out my printer is out of its warranty period. At this point I don't know what to do. I wonder if the only options left are to just give this printer up. If there is any DIY manual that can tell me the more technical stuff about this printer maybe I can take a stab at fixing it since the warranty has expired anyway. In my HP smart application, the issue listed says out of paper, even though the tray is loaded. That's all I got. Please let me know if you can help me. Thanks once again.

HP Recommended

@SagarRudrak,

I reviewed the post. It is great to have you back. You've displayed amazing technical skills, immaculate attitude coupled with a never say die spirit to try and fix the issue. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 As @A4Apollo is out for the day, I am taking over from here.

• It looks like a hardware issue with the printer and it is time for a replacement. Plase check this user guide http://hp.care/2hM1Vuc for further assistance and see if this helps

Finally, contact HP phone support to get the printer replaced. I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind without beating around the bush.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As mentioned above and on tilting the unit to the right and pulling out the tray found one of the stick out arms broken drilled a hole from the rear as the other arm rests in a blank space, the broken arm hits a switch so after drilling the hole used a paper clip bent as a hook and pulled the operating arm and put tape on it!

loaded the Tray back on and everything works!

my issue with this printer was that on the second day after purchase from Costco the scanner had stopped working and I never got to solve that problem to this day!

any help in this regards would be welcome!

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.