Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Officejet Pro 8740 splits the scan pages into two pages and the copy pages done from the adf.  I was able to correct the scanning problem through the Scan Doctor yet any copies made from the adf still have the same problem. This is a new install, as I've looked at the tips about reinstalling the software, the last employee got a new printer as this one had already been replaced in the past for the same issue.  It is a good printer just need to solve these issues.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@teddybear48

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I updated the firmware and the issue still exists.  I thought I could get a post warranty care pack because the warranty on the replacement just ended 1/30/21 and the printer was already having this problem before then.  I have  used the scan doctor and the scanning portion works sparingly mostly if I make multiple scans of 2 pages.  The copies from the ADF still split no matter all the updates and firmware changes I've done.

HP Recommended

Since the issue is only with the ADF, try these steps:

Clean the plastic and glass strips inside the document feeder with a soft, lint-free cloth sprayed with glass cleaner.

NOTE: 

Some printers ship with a document feeder cleaning cloth. If you have the cloth, load it into the document feeder and start a copy job to clean the scanner mechanism.

1. Turn the printer off, disconnect the power cord, and then remove the battery if your printer has one.

2. Depending on your printer model, open any top cover, document feeder tray, and scan document feeder cover.

3. Look for and remove any dust or debris from inside the document feeder.

4. Spray a soft, lint-free cloth with glass cleaner, and then wipe the scanner glass and the white strip on the underside of the document feeder until clean, dry, and streak-free.

CAUTION: 

To protect the interior printer parts, do not spray the cleaner directly on or into the printer.

5. Securely close any covers and trays that you opened.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the printer, and then try making a copy.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Clean the ADF rollers

If lines in copies persist when using the ADF, clean the rollers or separator pad.

1. Turn the printer off, disconnect the power cord, and then open the ADF cover.

2. Find any paper pick rollers and the separator pad inside the ADF. These parts have a rubber coating.

Paper pick rollers and separator pad in the ADF

3. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with distilled or filtered water, squeeze any excess liquid from the cloth, and then wipe any residue off the rollers and separator pad.

4. Leave the ADF cover open for two minutes to allow the parts to dry, and then close the cover.

5. Reconnect the power cord to the printer, and then try making a copy.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Reset the printer and check the power source

Reset the printer to clear certain error states, and then check the power source to make sure the printer is getting enough power to operate the copier.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer, disconnect the power cord from the power source, and then wait 30 seconds.

2. If you are using a power strip or multi-plug adapter, connect the cord directly to a wall outlet to make sure the printer is getting enough power.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the printer, and then try making a copy.

• If the issue persists, connect the printer to a different wall outlet to determine if the original outlet is causing the issue.

• If the issue persists using a different wall outlet, continue to the next step.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.