Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
hp envy 5055
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

when I recieved an error code in hp help, I had hp call me back from the designated phone #. The tech said I had malware screwing w/ my printer and took control of my computer for 30 minutes and said he fixed the problem Then sold me a lifetime fire wall from GB Tech called 'Cisco Meraki Mx67'.

did I get scammed? His name is [content removed]

any suggestions who at HP can verify this?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi@drdirt, Welcome to the HP Support Community

I Understand it sounds like a firewall scam on HP notebook.

HP would NEVER add a support phone number on your Desktop.

HP would not log into your computer to install a Firewall because you cannot print.

Not.

You might indeed be in some level of trouble - having a foreign firewall installed on the computer means that the people that control the firewall might also get/have control of your computer and personal data.

Me?  I would not use the computer again until it was disinfected with the very best security software that I could get.

I would purchase the best security software I could find, download it to my computer, take the computer off the network, install the security software and scan every last sector of that file system at the "deep" scan level.

Check in Accounts and see if these people added an actual account - I would guess not, though you never know - the people who got into your computer may think you are not going to notice a new account added to Settings > Accounts.  ??

This all assumes you still have enough control over the computer to install and run the security software....

I am pretty paranoid about letting people into my computers - the whole thing might not be the night-terrors that I describe.

You do want to get that Firewall disengaged - At the least remove whatever they installed and start Windows Security / Windows Defender (comes installed with Windows and is Microsoft software).

If you choose to do so, there are also other excellent security software packages (Avast, Norton, others) that sometimes include a free version and all of which provide paid versions of their best security software.

References

Windows Security / Windows Defender

Help protect my device with Windows Security

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

A Cisco Merkai Mx67 is a 500 hardware device so unless some hardware was shipped to you, then it would appear that you have fallen prey to an unscrupulous scamster.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.