Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8025 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

I have been using Windows Fax and Scan for some time.  I use a wireless connection.  Scanning suddenly stopped working.  Don't know if it is a software or hardware problem.  I am unable to scan new documents.  When I try to open previously scanned documents, I get the following message: "Could not open document for viewing". 

Your help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @MI239,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you. 

If you are seeing the error message "could not open document for viewing" on your HP printer, it usually means that the printer is having difficulty opening the file you are trying to print. This error can occur for several reasons, including.

• The file format is not compatible with the printer: Some printers are not able to read certain file formats. Make sure that the file you are trying to print is in a compatible format, such as PDF or JPEG.
  • The file is corrupted: If the file you are trying to print is damaged or corrupted, the printer may not be able to open it. Try printing a different file to see if the problem is specific to the original file.
  • The printer driver is outdated or corrupt: A corrupted or outdated printer driver can cause printing errors. Try updating the printer driver to the latest version or reinstalling the driver to see if this resolves the issue.
  • The printer is not connected properly: If the printer is not connected properly to your computer, it may not be able to open the file you are trying to print. Make sure the printer is properly connected and turned on.
  • There is not enough memory: If your printer does not have enough memory to handle the file you are trying to print, it may not be able to open it. Try printing the file in smaller sections, or upgrading your printer's memory if possible.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Alden4, 

Thank you for your helpful response.  This is my current status: I am able to scan and print using Windows Fax and Scan.  However, when attempting to open a scanned document, I get the message "could not open document for viewing".  Until recently, I was able to open a document by simply highlighting the file name and then double clicking on it.  Now when I do that, I get the message referenced above.  In order to open the document, I must now click on "Toggle Preview" in the blue category bar above. How do I reverse this process and get back to being able to open a document by just highlighting and double clicking on the file name?  

Thank you.  

HP Recommended

Hi @MI239,

Thank you for your response, 

Due to limited support, I would request you contact our HP Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link.

https://www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.