Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Office Jet 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have had this printer since January, and it recently started adding 3 vertical black lines to my scans using the document feeder.  I've cleaned everything I can see several times, including the glass and white plate.  The lines divide the page into 3rds almost, so I don't think it is a random dust particle causing the issue.  I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling.  I also tried updating the software drivers.  I am at a loss.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ES_Accountant

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Office Jet 6970 printer. I understand that you are getting vertical lines while scanning and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

• Clean the ADF rollers.
  • Check the print settings.
  • Make sure the ink cartridges are properly vented and seated correctly.
  • Align the printhead.

Click here to refer the document and perform troubleshooting steps to fix this issue.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ES_Accountant

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Office Jet 6970 printer. I understand that you are getting vertical lines while scanning and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

• Clean the ADF rollers.
  • Check the print settings.
  • Make sure the ink cartridges are properly vented and seated correctly.
  • Align the printhead.

Click here to refer the document and perform troubleshooting steps to fix this issue.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Virtical lines on ADF scans typically are caused by dirt on the scanner glass. This is because when using the ADF, a black dot on the scanner glass  show up at each scan line while the document moves by, and resulted in a dark line.

It's the small glass strip at the left side.

You can use a piece of damp lint free cloth or glass cleaning tissue, give that area a good wipe, especially at the position relative to where the lines show.

**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Following a tip in this forum, I located the glass strip in the elft side and cleaned it. I did not helped at all. What else can be done?

Thanks,

Tzalik

HP Recommended

what you said makes sense. I followed the step and found the glass. I didn't see any spot but I wiped it anyway. it actually solved my problem.

your answer is much better than the other copy-and-paste and very polite answers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.