Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I've seen others with this issue.  We used to be able to scan to email for months now, but today we receive an error saying "Server Connection: 403".  The printer is connected to the internet.  We have a 6520 printer.

We tried re-booting and unplugging everything already.  Please can someone help.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Nancy_AMS

I would like to help you with the Server Connection error you are experiencing. It sounds like you are using a scan to email app from the front panel of the printer, if this is true follow the following to resolve the issue.

1. Obtain your printer's IP address

a. This can be done by pressing the wireless icon on printer.

2. Enter the printer's IP address in a browser.

3. Select the network tab at the top of the page.

4. On the left select networking.

5. Select Network Address (IP)

6. Select Manual DNS Server

a. Manual Preferred DNS should read 8.8.8.8

b. Alternate DNS Server should read. 8.8.4.4

7. Select apply you might get a warning just select okay.

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

The above information was found on the following Thread by garytech1

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hi Nancy_AMS

I would like to help you with the Server Connection error you are experiencing. It sounds like you are using a scan to email app from the front panel of the printer, if this is true follow the following to resolve the issue.

1. Obtain your printer's IP address

a. This can be done by pressing the wireless icon on printer.

2. Enter the printer's IP address in a browser.

3. Select the network tab at the top of the page.

4. On the left select networking.

5. Select Network Address (IP)

6. Select Manual DNS Server

a. Manual Preferred DNS should read 8.8.8.8

b. Alternate DNS Server should read. 8.8.4.4

7. Select apply you might get a warning just select okay.

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

The above information was found on the following Thread by garytech1

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Than you! This worked. I also had to restart the printer.
Thanks again!!
HP Recommended
I have tried the above, and resetting router, unplugging printer and adding a the app scan and email. I am still getting server connection error 403 when all I want is to scan to email. I have a 5520 Photosmart. Any other suggestions? It worked fine last month
HP Recommended

Hi Hammer_1992. I have included my fix for this issue from a different thread. Let me know how it goes.

Server Connection Error 403:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Printing-and-Scanning/Server-Connection-Error-403/m-p/3114023#M4523...

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

how do I open the internet browser to type in the IP address? not a geek..don't have a clue what you mean?

HP Recommended

I use the Hp 5520. The abovedid not resove the issue,, thhe  error persisits. Although I had to type iin the Manual DNS AND ALTERNATIVE  SERVER NNUMBER. aNY MORE HELP PLEASE?

HP Recommended

Tried solution from Sunshyn2005. After step 5, got a screen requesting Authenification user name and password.  Don't know them.    Help.

HP Recommended

I'm scanning to email (a document) from the front panel of the printer 6520.  Never had problems in the past.  Have reset all equipment (Wireless Router, Printer); still nothing.

Found a solution about changing the Manual Preferred DNS to 8.8.8.8. and Alternate DNS to 8.8.4.4; powered printer off/on and still getting the 403 connection error message.

Any help is appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hello - I have an HP Photosmart 6525 and am receiving the 403 error when trying to scan to email. It has worked in the past. I followed the instructions found on the support board to enter the IP address, etc. and it didn't resolve the error. Thanks. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.