Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been scanning a lot of documents on my nearly-new HP 6978 OJ.  Every scan I send to the lawyers is crooked, and that's embarrassing.  Scanning dozens and dozens of documents using the glass isn't an option just to get straight scans. 

I bought this unit just to help me with all the scanning I need to do, both for legal stuff having to do with my Mom (with short deadlines), and for my hobby of posting some of my 100-year-old documents and catalogs online for free download.

Having a document feeder that scans crooked every time is making more work for me, when it's supposed to save me work.

Please see the samples.  Thanks in advance for your help.

2019-07-21 HP 6978 Scan - #1 Right Side Up in Feeder.jpg2019-07-21 HP 6978 Scan - #2 Up Side Down in Feeder.jpg2019-07-21 HP 6978 Scan - #3 On Glass.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Nerdmaster-Bri

Welcome to HP support community.

Are you trying to scan from ADF or Scanner glass?

Meanwhile:

If you are scanning from ADF, clean the ADF rollers and the separator pad

1. Remove the originals from the ADF.

2. Lift the cover of the ADF.

Figure : Lifting the ADF cover

Lifting the ADF cover
  3. Check for obstructions inside the ADF. Make sure nothing blocks the paper from engaging with the rollers. Even small pieces of paper can cause paper feed issues.

4. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with bottled or distilled water, and then squeeze any excess liquid from the cloth.

5. Press the cloth against the rollers, and then rotate them upward with your fingers. Apply a moderate amount of pressure to remove any dust or dirt buildup.

Figure : Cleaning the rollers and separator pad

Clean the rollers and separator pad.

Rollers
    2. Separator pad

6. Allow the rollers to dry completely (approximately 10 minutes).

7. Close the ADF cover tightly at both ends.

Reset the printer

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: 

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.  The names of the scan-file attachments state how and where they were scanned.  Apologies as I assumed the file names showed up better in a post.  The first was scanned using the DF (Document Feeder).  The second was scanned upside down using the DF.  The third was scanned directly on the glass.

Also, why in the world would a new OfficeJet need to have its DF rollers and other parts cleaned?  It's scanned crookedly from Proverbial Day One (PDO).  Rhetorical question: why can't these be built so they work right from PDO?

/Brian in Elma NY USA

PS, my user name may not show up correctly in this post as I was hassled repeatedly about my user name and password (PW) not being correct when signing in.  So, I found an old user name and PW.  Apologies for any confusion that may cause.  Of course, if it's the same as before, I'm completely befuddled by that as the name I used to sign in doesn't match what's at the top of the page.  I know I'm easily confused, but c'mon.

HP Recommended

@Nerdmaster-Bri

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.