Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows XP

8725 basic driver for XP32 net scans once, fails after computer reboot.

the scan and print doctor work strangely and give inappropriate errors like the twain saying user canceled scan (I didn't) and that WMI didn't work either and that driver didn't connect.

also, when printing, system tray has a popup message that job failed to print, but within 1 minute, job prints. print works, scan fails.

am using windows firewall and msert.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

The Officejet Pro 8725 only supported the Basic drivers.

Can you try this alternative scan solution?

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

For more scanning resources, this link might be helpful:

Scanning for Dummies

Let us know if that works.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

The Officejet Pro 8725 only supported the Basic drivers.

Can you try this alternative scan solution?

HP Scan Extended

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

For more scanning resources, this link might be helpful:

Scanning for Dummies

HP Recommended

(net) scanner communication cannot be established.

usb works fine. the network scan doesn't communicate anymore. hp please fix. even have powered cycled printer.

HP Recommended

Hi @jmichae3

Have send you a private message to reset your printer. Hope that helps!

Please look out at the top right hand corner (envelope icon) for the message.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

no resets menu is listed on printer. no service menu on printer.

HP Recommended

scanner and camera wizard says for net version of scanner: the computer cannot detect a scanner or camera.

have applied reset found not in front panel menu (nonexistent), but in web interface.

there is a workaround. but I would prefer not to use a web interface, though I did make a link address bar favorite for it, but it means the browser must be up to scan and it takes a while to load with 30-40 tabs. would prefer to use the scanner and camera wizard. or some HP application in XP to do the scanning like the HP Officejet 8500 had (bugs fixed of course, didn't handle long jobs well, or was it large files? memory usage?).

what is it that makes scanner and camera wizard break? am using fixed IP of course.

2GB of RAM with the video card pushing the rest off to the side isn't much to go on. I get heap size like 1.6GB.

I think I will just settle on the web page for now until somethint else comes up. hope...

HP Recommended

HI @jmichae3

Can you try this alternative Scan solution:

HP Scan Extended

If you need help on the scanning, the following resource will be useful:

Scanning for Dummies

HP Recommended

it helped. hp scan extended same problems as camera and scanner wizard when the problem was aqr9ound (couldn't connect), but it was a corruption maybe of the scanner icon.

the reset claimed to not fix the problem and showed some error messages, but it in fact did work.

after the reset, it deleted my printer icon, and seems to have fixed the problem.

could the hp scan extended be inclucluded with the basic set of drivers please?

HP Recommended
  • Hi, it's me again, tried scanning again after a whlie and the printer once again no longer is accessible across the network. it's a driver or firmware issue I am sure.
  • I have another problem too, there is another printer out there with the same hexadecimal or IP address and when I make changes to my printer's web page, sometimes nothing happens, and I think that the changes are going out over the internet somehow but it's a local IPV4 subnet so how is that possible?. so somebody in HP and IETF did not reserve enough bits for that number in engineering - STOP chincing it to the minimums. please fix and redo drivers and firmware please, please.
  • instead of servicing 1 concurrent user at a time (as evidenced by printer selector on hp web site), why not a jetdirect that does 100, (it is an *office* jet) and could be servicing color needs in a real estate office where there may typically be 20-100 people in some. put a real jetdirect card in there, and a decent amount of RAM to service that many concurrent jobs over gigabit or better (wifi routers can handle 5400Mbps, so... why not catch up?) and it's a nice fast printer with a nice duty cycle. so I think it could be done. even if the jetdirect were embedded that would be fine.
  • please consider bringing back Vivera waterproof ink (preferably) for rainproof outdoor-proof flyers, instead of making us waste money on very expensive special paper. the ink was less expensive and easier on the budget.
  • and remember that people, normal people, buy this kind of printer, for servicing a house's needs. why not 1 printer for the house? saves on buying printers.

HP Recommended

surprisingly, it's doing it again after the driver reinstall. I guess I have to reinstall it every 1-2 days after deleting printer and scanner.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.