Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Envy 7640 E4W47A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When scanning multiple sheets via ADF all sheets scan fine until the last one, whereupon the screen shows a message that the ADF can't pickup the sheet.

Even scanning a single sheet the same happens. After the sheet has passed through the ADF it still appears to be looking for something else, as though it can't recognise that the ADF is empty.

It keeps looking for more and then reports the error.

I've tried a hard reset (pulling the power cord while switched on) but that made no difference.

I ran Print & Scan Doctor 5.1. That gave a WIA scan error but said it was fixed when it wasn't.

I've also reinstalled the full software pack from the HP website.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That's not happening I have to say.

Another printer is arriving today, and with a 3yr warranty.

No, it's not HP either.

This thread can now be considered closed.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @TopCat25,

Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you.  I reviewed the post regarding assistance with scanning the last page and printing it. Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a recent windows or software update?
  • Did you make copies directly from the ADF of the printer and check if it works fine?

For now, try these steps:

Please make 2 copies directly from the document feeder without any communication from the computer.

If it copies correctly uninstall and reinstall the printer software by following these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right-click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.
  • Click on print server properties.
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Ignore the Regedit option if it cannot be done.
  • Restart the PC again.

Then download the latest full feature driver from http://hp.care/2tt9z1h and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

This should fix the issue.

If it fails to copy correctly from the ADF,

• Then follow all the prescribed steps from this link: http://hp.care/2t310GN for paper pick issues relating only to the ADF and check if the issue gets resolved.
  • Also, update the printer firmware from the same link mentioned above to download the full feature software.
  • Follow instructions from this link: http://hp.care/2rHKwDD  on how to do it.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, & thanks for a really detailed explanation.

In short, it worked!:manvery-happy:

The scans worked fine directly from the printer so I went through the s/w section. The only pause was that I had to reboot before I could remove the driver from the print server properties section. Then it went fine.

On checking the firmware it came back as up to date, so it must have done a very recent background update.

Anyway, scans from the ADF now operate as they should once again.

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

Hi @TopCat25,

You've been simply fabulous to work with, considering your technical expertise and exhaustive technical skills. 🙂 It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you but you seem to be getting confused. I know nothing about any wireless dongle :mansurprised:

Also, I have to report that the initial problem has returned, simply overnight!

It was fine as I reported yesterday. Today I tried to copy 1 sheet from the ADF - using only the printer (no PC) - but it again failed to recognise when the ADF was empty.

One thing I did notice; when a sheet is inserted into the ADF I hear a tone and the screen shows "original loaded". That happened when the problem was (I thought) solved.

Now today, no tone or screen message!

• This would seem to be a mechanical fault!

While checking the ADF mechanism I got the "ping" & screen message.

It's now working again, but for how long.... ???

HP Recommended

Hi @TopCat25,

I read the post. Thanks for responding. Yes, it has been a long day and as I multi-task with several windows open and one of the cases from a different post found its way here. I have edited the previous post since then. It has nothing to do with the wireless dongle. 

There is more to it than meets the eye. The paper pick sensors work intermittently. As you stated the fault might be mechanical also.The printer might have a hardware issue and may need to be replaced by contacting HP support. I am being honest about it without beating around the bush by keeping your best interest in mind.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a superb week ahead. 🙂  

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As it's out of warranty it's not worth paying for HP repairs.

I'm upgrading to a new printer. This one is toast :mansad:

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying all the suggested steps, recommend you contact our phone support team to check on printer exchange or upgrade options available for your printer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That's not happening I have to say.

Another printer is arriving today, and with a 3yr warranty.

No, it's not HP either.

This thread can now be considered closed.

HP Recommended

Hi @TopCat25,

I have reviewed the post.  I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. 
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.