Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

One more month and still no fix? :HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

Hey HP - Come on, this is a legitimate problem. Scan-to-computer activation should be persistent after the printer and/or computers sleep or restart. Please acknowledge and fix the problem!

HP Recommended

Activate Scan to Computer is NOT an option available under Scanner Actions on my 64bit Win7 system. In Program Files/.../Bin I find ScanToPCActivationApp but clicking it give same error as reported by others.

Any thoughts on why it does not show up in my Scanner Actions menu?

HP Recommended

I have the 6500a plus. If you goto 'program files-hp-hp officejet 6500 e710n-z-bin' you will see the application named

'hp officejet 6500 e710n-z'.

double clicking on that application will launch the main printer interface. under 'scanner actions'

you will see 'activate scan to computer'.

you can create a short cut on your desktop or keep coming back here.

HP Recommended

Hi all.

I am running Win 7 and had the same error with my HP Officejet 6500A Plus.

What I found was that in the Windows control panel under Devices and Printers, if I right mouse click on the HP printer and then look at the "Set as default printer" option, I was seeing 3 choices for my printer;

Fax - HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network)

HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network)

HP55891E (HP Offocejet 6500 E710n-z)

My default printer was set to the HP55891E (HP Offocejet 6500 E710n-z). When I changed to the HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network), and then run the Activate Scan to Computer, it all worked and I did not get the error window. I have not yet restarted my PC so will have to check if it all works from scratch etc, but this is better than where I was an hour ago!!

If this helps anyone it will have been worth the effort.

HP Recommended

Grazza2011, thanks for your suggestion.  I tried that, no luck.

Computer is a new HP AMD quadcore.

Printer is a 6500A Plus E710n, also brand new.

Scanning will not work.  Printing is erratic too.  Print jobs will not print, but when I reboot the computer, the pages print.

I uninstalled the printer software and manually installed the 6500A E709n by hand using the built in Win7 drivers.

When I do that, the printer works flawlessly, however scanning still does not work.

UM

HP Recommended

I'm having a similar problem, but in many cases it's even worse.  While I can activate scan to computer from the HP app (and yes, doing this every time is a total PITA), my problem is that I have to reset the printer by cycling the power EVERY TIME I want to activate the feature.  Hear that HP? EVERY FREAKING TIME.  Without exception.  Otherwise, I get an error message saying wither there is no printer found or that there was an "error while activating printer. Please restart your printer and try again."  This problem makes my scanner largely unusable from any reasonable standpoint.  The funny thing is, it prints wirelessly without problem, so there is no network connectivity issue.  I see this as a serious driver issue that HP has yet to fix. 

HP Recommended

hello

HP Recommended

This feature work nicely out of the box. I just bought a 6500A plus.

Just run Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers\HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network)

and then click Activate Scan to Computer and it is on permanently. I loveHP!

HP Recommended
Just went thru your procedure, restarted my computer, scan to computer was not active? Had to manually activate?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.