Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I have downloaded HP Smart on my Macbook Air with Catalina IOS. However cant still scan from my computer a document on the HP M277dw laser printer.

32 bit software wont run on Catalina. Thats why I have also problem with HP Easy Scan...

HP Recommended

Hi @AlanTurk

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the scanning issue. 

HP Easy Scan is currently not fully compatible with macOS Catalina and we'd suggest you use the image capture. We're actively working to restore complete functionality. You may refer to this document for more information - HP Printers - HP Easy Scan Is Not Currently Supported in macOS Catalina

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Apple just released an upgrade to OS 10.5 Catalina. Download and install OS 10.15.3 and the HP Easy Scan functioned properly.

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8600 on my iMac. I had the same problem with Easy Scan when the OS 10.15.2 was released but the 10.15.3 resolved the problem.

HP Recommended

Woodsworker,

Thanks -- and it DOES work!

The fix, however, was about six weeks too late.  When HP told me they were not going to fix the problem, I had no choice but to go to another manufacturer's printer.  And it works.

I have stopped using HP printers after more than twenty years of very good to excellent performance and will probably stay with the folks who got through this crisis in a timely manner.

Further, it appears the fix came from Macintosh and not from HP which further aggravates my attitude change.

Color me -- still annoyed.

HP Recommended

Since installing Catalina on my Mac desktop my HP Scanjet G4050 will not scan using Image Capture.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Still same problem for me. OSX 10.15 fully updated. My old Scanner G4010 doesn't work even with Image Capture. It begin to make the preview, then stops with error message "Failes to open a connection to the device (-21355)"

HP Recommended

How to get HP Officejet Pro 8600 to work with Mac Catalina 10.15.3

I got new Macbook Pro and the HP Scan would either save as TXT or give me error message.

Here’s the work around.

Don’t have anything in your HP document feeder yet.

Go to:

Apple Icon

Printers & Scanners

I had several listed- some Print and some Scan, click on the one you wanted to use then press [-] minus sign to remove it. Also removed the Scan one as well.

Also remove the HP Scan and old printer icons from your dashboard.

Click on [+] plus sign to see list of available printer/scanners.

Highlight the name of the printer/scanner you want and click ADD.

From the Printers & Scanners list, you see the one you added, Click on [Scan] above the printer name.

Drag the Printer image to the Dashboard.

Double click the Printer Image on the Dashboard.

Window opens with printer name click on the “Scanner” icon.

Gong3_0-1582578478906.png

Scanner window opens. I wanted to use document feeder to scan several documents into one so changed that and the Resolution to 100.

Can Change File Name. I want to save to Desktop.

Put documents in Feeder and press “Scan”.

Gong3_1-1582578478928.png

Remember to Right Click and Quit the Printer Icon in the Dashboard or you’ll get error message.

If I want to use the Flatbed, then change “Scan Mode” to “Flatbed”. Flatbed may default to Use Custom Size so Un-Click Use Custom Size and you can choose “US Letter”.

Click [Scan]

Remember to Right Click and Quit the Printer Icon in the Dashboard or you’ll get error message.

Next time you want to scan, Click on the Printer Icon in the Dashboard, Click on the “Scanner” Icon in the window, select document feeder, put documents in the feeder, change name to what you want to call it, click Scan and remember to Quit the printer icon in the dashboard.

HP Recommended

I found work Around.

How to get HP Officejet Pro 8600 to work with Mac Catalina 10.15.3

I got new Macbook Pro and the HP Scan would either save as TXT or give me error message.

Here’s the work around.

Don’t have anything in your HP document feeder yet.

Go to:

Apple Icon

Printers & Scanners

I had several listed- some Print and some Scan, click on the one you wanted to use then press [-] minus sign to remove it. Also removed the Scan one as well.

Also remove the HP Scan and old printer icons from your dashboard.

Click on [+] plus sign to see list of available printer/scanners.

Highlight the name of the printer/scanner you want and click ADD.

From the Printers & Scanners list, you see the one you added, Click on [Scan] above the printer name.

Drag the Printer image to the Dashboard.

Double click the Printer Image on the Dashboard.

Window opens with printer name click on the “Scanner” icon.

Gong3_0-1582578639430.png

Scanner window opens. I wanted to use document feeder to scan several documents into one so changed that and the Resolution to 100.

Can Change File Name. I want to save to Desktop.

Put documents in Feeder and press “Scan”.

Gong3_1-1582578639452.png

If I want to use the Flatbed, then change “Scan Mode” to “Flatbed”. Flatbed may default to Use Custom Size so Un-Click Use Custom Size and you can choose “US Letter”.

Click [Scan]

Next time you want to scan, Click on the Printer Icon in the Dashboard, Click on the “Scanner” Icon in the window, select document feeder, put documents in the feeder, change name to what you want to call it, click Scan and remember to Quit the printer icon in the dashboard.

HP Recommended

Thank you Gong3! This was exactly what I needed until HP updates its software for Catalina.

HP Recommended

You may also install below driver package from Apple @Gong3 and @f1_manchester:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?locale=en_US

Once installing this package, be sure to add the printer from System Preferences > Printers & Scanners and select the HP Officejet Pro 8600 option within the Use drop-down menu, then HP Easy Start will detect the printer too.

Also, be sure to fully update Catalina for HP Easy Scan to function correctly.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.