Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Printer

Win XP SP3

I just now started scanning a bunch of letter-sized text documents to PDF using the ADF. Apparently, some documents are not truly 8.5" x 11" - the height varies around 10.875" (which is 10 7/8"). Because of this irregular size, I am seeing horizontal black lines where the edges of the paper end. For example with a 2 page document, I will see a black line at the bottom of the first page, but a black line at the top of the second page. I am placing the pages in the ADF with the top inserted first. I have cleaned all surfaces with the same results. I'm scanning at grayscale 300 dpi and have used both the preset size of 8.5" x 11" and a custom size of 8.5" x 11". Oddly enough, I get different scanning sizes by doing this. When I use the preset 8.5" x 11", the resulting scanned pages will sometimes end up measuring 8.4+" x 10.8+". When I use a custom size of 8.5" x 11", the scanned pages are just that.

When I scan using the plate (which I do not want to do - the whole reason I bought this printer was for the auto duplex), I still see black lines, but they are not as dark. Like I said, the whole purpose of my buying this printer was for the auto duplex - if I can't get past this first issue, the printer is useless to me. I have hundreds of documents to scan, and I'm certainly not going to manually scan them nor am I going to be "ok" with all these black lines.

I know I can manually crop the pages (removing the black lines) and then resaving the document using a .pdf printer driver, but that's a ridiculous workflow.

Here is a visual - this is what I see in Acrobat Pro when looking at the scanned document. The first black line is from the bottom of the first page, and the second black line is from the top of the second page. What is going on here?

scan.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

hi shan,

try this

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02881567

if this works, that will be good

if not try to call hp cust support

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, but the issue is really more along the lines of scanning a page that is a little smaller than the size preset from the drop down menu. I even scanned a piece of paper on the glass that was something like 5" x 7". Because I used the 8.5" x 11" preset, I saw black lines outlining the piece of white paper. I have to assume this is just a function of the printer which picks up the slightest differences between paper and edge. I will just make due with scanning at 8.25" x 10.75" and then opening the .pdf in Acrobat Pro and cropping the page to 8.5" x 11" (which in this case adds solid white to the edge of the pages). Visually, this fixes my issue. I'm **bleep** about the actual document size properties reading 8.5" x 11" even though if it was off by 1/4" it wouldn't affect anything.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.