Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 7510
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

If I scan from the flatbed, scan works fine. If I scan using the auto document feeder, the sheets each feed properly, but there are no images in the resulting pdf file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I've done some more investigation, and discovered that it's only the web interface to scanning that will recognize the image through the automatic document feeder. The document feeds just fine using the web scan, and webscan can recognize the image through the flatbed, but it won't recognize the image that comes through from the automatic document feeder. When I use hp's scan app from either Mac or PC, the image from the automatic document feeder comes through fine. So the problem is the webscan app. My recollection is that the web scan app used to work just fine. So I'm not sure what changes took place that it no longer works from the automatic document feeder. Thank you for your feedback above. My work around will be to just use the HP web scan app.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Don-x

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Photosmart 7510 e-All-in-One Printer. I read that the printer scans fine through the scanner glass bed. But when scanned through the ADF (automated document feeder), no images are present in the resulting pdf file. Not to worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Is the printer able to copy a document successfully through the ADF? To make a copy through the ADF follow the below steps:
  1. Remove any staples or paper clips from the originals.

2. Thumb through the stack to make sure that none of the sheets stick to each other.

3. Make sure that the first page of the original is on the top of the stack.

4. Pull open the ADF tray, and then slide the original with the print side up into the ADF tray until the product detects the pages.

Figure : Load the originals in the ADF tray

Image: Load the  originals in the ADF tray
  5. Slide the paper width guides in until they stop at the edge of the paper.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If the printer copies fine through the ADF then please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor software. This is a free tool for Windows to help resolve issues with the printer drivers. 

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to let me know how it goes. I'm always here to assist you. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended
I've done some more investigation, and discovered that it's only the web interface to scanning that will recognize the image through the automatic document feeder. The document feeds just fine using the web scan, and webscan can recognize the image through the flatbed, but it won't recognize the image that comes through from the automatic document feeder. When I use hp's scan app from either Mac or PC, the image from the automatic document feeder comes through fine. So the problem is the webscan app. My recollection is that the web scan app used to work just fine. So I'm not sure what changes took place that it no longer works from the automatic document feeder. Thank you for your feedback above. My work around will be to just use the HP web scan app.
HP Recommended
That should be "will not recognize" in the first sentence above.
HP Recommended

@Don-x

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, the web scan is just to test the scanning feature over the n/w. It's better to use the HP's scan app from either Mac or PC.

Happy scanning! 🙂

HP Recommended

However, the webscan is fully featured, including setup, utilities, printing, scanning, etc. I'm sure the development engineers intended that webscan would also work from the ADF since it reads documents satisfactorily from the ADF, it just doesn't record the image.

In addition, the webscan let's me use the scanner the same way for both Mac and PC, and I don't have to search for an app. I'd like to recommend the printer firmware be updated to fix this problem.

Thanks again,

Don

HP Recommended

@Don-x

You're most welcome. 🙂

Don, I highly appreciate your suggestion. I will convey this to the relevant team but cannot speculate as to when this would be implemented.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

I certainly would agree with the sentiment that the scanning function should be working fully as advertised. Else, it does beg the question as to why the functionality is there (supposedly) there in the first instance. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.