Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

Black areas and lines on one scan side of Scanjet Pro 4500 fn1

HP Recommended
Scanjet Pro 4500 fn1

The scanner is about three years old and can be used as a document scanner or flatbed. The scanner for the odd pages or those on the flatbed have lines and dark areas while the even pages are fine. My guess would be that as this is the sensor that moves, the cable to the motherboard has become lose. Do you think this is the problem and if so how easy is this to solve because this was not a cheap scanner and three years of life is not long.

The picture below is from a PDF that was generated and the top of the picture shows the bottom first page (with the black are on the left and the blue line on the right) while the bottom half is the top of the second page which has no problems.

Annotation 2020-07-10 154840.png

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi HP. Do you have an opinion on this? I'd appreciate a reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I really have absolutely no interest in your ranking system. I just want to know if my very expensive scanner has just become a useless paperweight three years after purchase or if this can be fixed. Come one HP you must have someone who can reply to this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, HP, I take it that you have absolutely no intention of bothering to help me. Surely you are not so under resourced that you cannot take the time to look at the scan and give your opinion. I've paid my money and your product has failed but that's OK because you have my money right? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, HP, I take it that you have absolutely no intention of bothering to help me. Surely you are not so under resourced that you cannot take the time to look at the scan and give your opinion. I've paid my money and your product has failed but that's OK because you have my money right? 

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now I see other victims with exactly the same problem and you have not bothered to reply to them either. What an absolute scam. Shoddy defective products clearly and yet we are left to carry the costs for your design mistakes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
26,238 25,999 2,278 8,406
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@naskew 

It is unfortunately you have not received an answer - I do believe your ire is misplaced.

We are a volunteer staffed community.

Possible reasons for not receiving what you want:

• There are many, many people asking for help - thousands each month, in fact. 
  • There are very few of us who answer the pleas for assistance.
  • It is possible no one knows the answer to your question.
  • Your increasing irritation is a warning for us to stay away.

Not everyone receives an answer.

If the unit is in Warranty, please submit a case to HP Support.

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

In terms of what you say and how you say it..

Your comments are welcome as long as they adhere to the HP Support Community: Rules of Participation

Thanks for understanding.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I asked a polite message which turns out to be a polite message that others have asked and you are right, nobody at HP ever got back to them either suggesting that this HP site is perhaps not the best place to ask for help about HP products.

I am indeed frustrated that my product life expectancy is lower than perhaps I had expected for a premium supplier, it is a lesson learned. Respect to those of you that volunteer but it is a shame that you are unable to assist.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation