Denis447
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Blank window on opening scanner

HP ENVY Photo 6234
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Following an update from Windows 7 (with which I had no problems) to Windows 10, when I click my scanner icon, the scanner window comes up with nothing but blank boxes. It will still scan if I guess what's in each box but can't alter my settings as there are no words or descriptions. I have downloaded and run the latest drivers but Windows 10 couldn't detect my printer. I'm going crazy!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
1,579 1,579 81 140
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Denis447 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to scan.

Resetting the printer calibrates the scanner mechanism and will help resolve the issue. 

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on. 

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer. 

3. Disconnect the power cord from the power source, and then wait 30 seconds. 

4. If you previously connected the power cord to a power strip or multi-plug outlet adapter, reconnect the cord directly to a wall outlet to ensure the printer is getting enough power. 

5. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then turn on the printer. 

• make a test copy to confirm the issue is resolved. 

• If the issue persists, connect the printer power cord to a different wall outlet to determine if the original outlet is causing the issue. 

• If the issue persists with a different wall outlet, continue to the next step. 

Scanning issues can be resolved by running the automated troubleshooting tool for windows. 

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor, and then follow the prompts to install and open the tool. 

2. Read and respond to the instructions to select your printer, install any required software, and fix scanning issues. 

If you still have issues, check the scanner bar functionality- 

Perform a visual test of the scanner mechanism to see if it is jammed. 

1. Remove any original documents or photos from the scanner glass. 

2. Lift the scanner lid slightly, and then press the Copy button or icon. 

Let me know the outcome. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Denis447
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can scan by clicking on the blank areas in the HP Scanner window on my desktop as I know what the blank areas should say. If I hover over the drop down windows while changing preferences, the name of the selection appears beside my cursor but is not shown after I select it. 
The actual physical scanning part works 100%, it’s the display of alphanumeric characters on my PC that is not functional. 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,846 5,833 310 232
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you perform the steps in the previous post?

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation