Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

How do I get the ADF open so I can clean the feeder and scanner? It picks up lines when I scan documents.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I will post some pictures below to make a bit easier to show what I am talking about.

Below is the closed top of 6500a Plus:

IMAG0059.jpg

Lift where the red circle is indicating to open the cover of the ADF.

Below is a picture of the ADF cover opened:

IMAG0060.jpg

Where the red circle is indicating there is a cylindrical piece of plastic that one can push up to lift the inner portion of the ADF.

Below is the inner portion open as well as the cover of the 6500a Plus:

IMAG0061.jpg

Under the portion that is white in the picture is where the small strip of glass is that is in question.  Hope this helps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
From the title I am guessing you have the HP Officejet 6500a Plus (E710n) model printer. If you, instead, have the HP Officejet 6500 Wireless (E709n) please let me know.

If you look at the cover on the ADF, then you can see where there is an indention indicating where the cover lifts at (center of top on ADF). Once the cover is opened, then one can see down inside the ADF. If you gently lift this portion inside the ADF, that is under the cover, then one can see down to where the small strip of glass is that the ADF uses for copies/scans/faxes.

Hope this helps.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Yes, I have the HP Officejet 6500 Plus Wireless. As far as I can determine, it does not have an indentation in the ADF and thus no way to lift it up.

I knew someone else who had this problem; they bought a new printer (a Canon) & that solved it. So, is there a manual that tells how to remove the ADF lid for cleaning?  Poor design or planned??

HP Recommended

I will post some pictures below to make a bit easier to show what I am talking about.

Below is the closed top of 6500a Plus:

IMAG0059.jpg

Lift where the red circle is indicating to open the cover of the ADF.

Below is a picture of the ADF cover opened:

IMAG0060.jpg

Where the red circle is indicating there is a cylindrical piece of plastic that one can push up to lift the inner portion of the ADF.

Below is the inner portion open as well as the cover of the 6500a Plus:

IMAG0061.jpg

Under the portion that is white in the picture is where the small strip of glass is that is in question.  Hope this helps.

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I tried that and it did not work, until I pulled the two sides of the ADF cover away from the body of the printer. Tricky, but it finally lifted up. Now I can lift up the 2nd cover to clean the scanning surface. DOUBLE KUDOS!

HP Recommended

Glad to hear you were able to get the ADF open.  It can be a little tricky, I agree.  I hope the best in all your future printing needs!

Happy Printing

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the information about how to clean the ADF on my HP Office Jet 6500A Plus printer. I spent almost an hour on HP telephone support a few days ago and received absolutely no useful information on the subject. The Tech spent more time trying to sell me a new HP printer than telling me how to fix the problem with copies made using the AFD. I was abot ready to pitch the HP and buy a new printer from another manufacturer before I found the information on the community support post using a search on DuckDuckGo.

Reese

HP Recommended

Access to the ADF and cleaning the glass strip worked. Thank you!

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the help. Could not figure out from other sites how to access the scanner glass underneath the document feeder.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.