Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

CM2320nf no dial tone (can't send fax)

CM2320nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm trying to test the fax function in my used-but-new-to-me CM2320nf but it doesn't send faxes yet.

I'm thinking that it's not getting dial tone since I'm used to hearing a dial tone with fax machines. 

My process is:

• Put paper to fax on glass
  • Press, "Start Fax" button
  • Dial phone number

I can hear the tones as I dial and it then has the "beep" sound it makes once it would normally connect but I don't hear any dial tone or ringing.

I tried plugging an ordinary telephone into the telephone plug on the back and I get dial tone there so I'm thinking that the phone jack and cable are OK.

I ran the Fax Test and put the report at the end of this posting. I did try changing the "Detect Dial Tone" to, "On" but that didn't make any difference. 

Any suggestions on where to start to diagnois this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Larry.

UPDATE: I just had my brother try to send me a fax and the machine didn't seem to react to the call at all and my brother said he got a busy signal (odd since I can call it on a voice line).

Fax_Test_Results.jpg

Save lives
Give blood.
4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,384 2,213
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi @LarrySchwarcz,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, your issue with the HP Color LaserJet CM2320 is classified as a commercial product (business line).

Our Commercial Support Team does not provide assistance via this platform.

If you require immediate assistance, you will need to log a case with our Commercial Support Team.

Click here for details.

Let me know if you require further information and/or assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
LarrySchwarcz
Level 3
85 61 1 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Biswajeet,

Thank you for your reply! In this case I'm not using this product in a business environment. It's in my home and a used product (I didn't buy it new) so I didn't think it was approprate for me to submit an official  case with HP support and instead posted it here to the user community. 

Thanks!
Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,384 2,213
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi @LarrySchwarcz,

Thank you for replying,

I understand this isn't a new printer and its being used for consumer/home purposes,

however, since this is a commercial product, we recommend you contact HP Business for further support,

Here's a link to contact the business line via chat or phone: Click here

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
LarrySchwarcz
Level 3
85 61 1 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

UPDATE: Issued fixed!
Turns out my CM2320nf was fine! I had it plugged into a VOIP line and the issue was with my phone line! I changed credit cards and forgot to update my VOIP provider. Once I got the phone line working again it now works fine!
And, just a word of warning, don't have two fax machines on the same phone line turned on. This also caused issues for me. I would try to send a fax over the phone line but my other fax machine was inteferring with it.
Thanks!
Larry.

@LarrySchwarcz wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to test the fax function in my used-but-new-to-me CM2320nf but it doesn't send faxes yet.

I'm thinking that it's not getting dial tone since I'm used to hearing a dial tone with fax machines. 

My process is:

• Put paper to fax on glass
  • Press, "Start Fax" button
  • Dial phone number

I can hear the tones as I dial and it then has the "beep" sound it makes once it would normally connect but I don't hear any dial tone or ringing.

I tried plugging an ordinary telephone into the telephone plug on the back and I get dial tone there so I'm thinking that the phone jack and cable are OK.

I ran the Fax Test and put the report at the end of this posting. I did try changing the "Detect Dial Tone" to, "On" but that didn't make any difference. 

Any suggestions on where to start to diagnois this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Larry.

UPDATE: I just had my brother try to send me a fax and the machine didn't seem to react to the call at all and my brother said he got a busy signal (odd since I can call it on a voice line).

Fax_Test_Results.jpg

Save lives
Give blood.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation