Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 9018
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, new guy here. I use this model to scan repair orders (R/O) at our Auto Repair Shop.  Each R/O has a barcode at the bottom and is supposed to be able to be used as an identifier for each separate R/O Number. I enabled OCR and while that allows me to open the scanned document in Word, this is not what I need. I would like to scan a stack of R/Os  with their supporting documents (Parts Invoices, etc) and basically create a file for each file, based on the R/O number in the Bar Code. I know this technology is available, I just wonder if I am asking too much of this scanner? This will allow me to Scan as a Batch, knowing that each separate R/O and all back-up will be separated and differentiated by the info in the barcode.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!  Tim

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TimCinDenver 

Observation

The printer is incapable of "reading" anything beyond basic onboard translation, that is, translating whatever data it is sent into printer language for the purpose of putting that data onto paper. 

In the case of something scanned, the printer can (usually) translate and save that data as a document file or an image file.

Details on how the data is sorted, filed, and named are controlled by the software you use to submit the job to the printer.

Bar Codes, in and of themselves, are specialty data.  Sometimes these don't even print properly unless the data is printed as an image.  When the printer cannot understand what it "sees", you get back blank areas, errors, gibberish, or other weirdness.

I believe you need a software program that can read scanned bar code data, create the file structure and file names for the data, and then save the data according to a naming scheme either built into the software or using file name suggestions from the operator (user / person directing the software).

So, the printer is OK - it just lacks the ability to understand and translate what you intend.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 9018 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the note - makes complete sense. Do you know of any software products that might be able to achieve what I am trying to accomplish?  My search begins today.  Thanks again, Tim

HP Recommended

@TimCinDenver 

You are welcome.

No, sorry.  Anything I look up is going to be just that, the result of a search.

Honestly, I might even be spouting wishful thinking - I can imagine the need for such software so I imagine someone having written it.

Instead of the printer being used to scan - it seems the wrong tool for the job - consider software that uses a camera (say from a phone, iPad, for example) that scans barcodes and translates the data into a file structure that is saved to the device.

Stay safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.