Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Example: Envy6255
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I go to HP Smart it tells me that the printer status is unknown. Nevertheless I can print a test page from HP Smart. But when I try to scan using HP Smart it tells me that the printer is offline.  Obviously the printer is not offline, because HP Smart can print a test page.

I have tried the diagnose choices within HP Smart. All that happens is that the problem recurs.

I tried scanning with HP Scan and Capture. It says there is a general failure, but gives me no more information.

I had the same issue a few months ago, and I was able to scan from a different app. Then the issue resolved itself. So I declared victory and went on with life. Now the issue has recurred, and the hack does not work.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.   

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I tried something else. Using PhotoShop Elements I tried to scan. It did find the scanner, and gave me an error code 0x89E60250.  As nearly as I can figure out from the HP web site, this error code means that I am in deep doodoo.

HP Recommended

@AndrewCSkibo

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Next Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor: Follow steps from the link: Click here

Root level uninstall and reinstall printer drivers:

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

To reinstall, click here.

• If the issue continues, uninstall and reinstall printer Basic drivers from the link: Click here
  • If the issue still continues, install using the Windows Built-in Print DriverClick here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had the same issue. I tried that but it still does not work.

HP Recommended

@ElaineBee

Thank you for posting back. 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ried all of that, but the scanner will still not work.  There are no error messages, but when I hit scan from the app,, it says canning currently unavailable.  Printing works fine.  Help!!!

HP Recommended

I did most of what was suggested, and it worked. 

Specifically, I uninstalled the printer and deleted Scan Doctor from the programs. But I skipped some of the more exotic steps.  I then reinstalled the printer, as a new printer. Somewhere in the process the system wanted to install Scan Doctor, and I said OK.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the next time.  

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

This advice worked.  Thank you!!!  In my case, I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 that would not scan (showed unavailable) from my HP Elitebook, but it would print wirelessly.  I followed the advice exactly as outlined and the problem is resolved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.