Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got a new computer and connected to my printer with HPSmart with no issues. Scanning works great from there.  However, my printer control panel only shows my old computer on its list of options when using the  "Scan to computer" function.  It does not see my new computer.  I've run the HP doctor software with no luck.  Please advise, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Although this did not answer the question directly, I did Uninstall the HP Smart software, then followed the Method 3 instructions in the Wireless Quick Start guide.  This found the printer and installed the software..and most importantly, my printer now sees my new computer and scans to it as hoped.   Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@bingo_79 

For those reading:

HP Smart application is primarily associated with Mobile Printing. 

A "Windows version" of HP Smart can be installed on the computer.

Help for HP Smart for Windows (includes a link to the store)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have not done so since installing the new computer, switch off the printer, let it sit for three minutes or so, switch on the printer.

If you never installed the printer software on the "new" computer, ignore the "uninstall" parts of the procedure.

If you have not done so, download-save-install the printer software on the new computer.

Hints

• Read through the procedure, then proceed with the steps.
  • For best results, do not ignore the suggested Restart
  • Procedure includes “extra” clear and clean steps for the purpose training and to help “troubled” software installations. Extra sections are marked with an asterisk pair “**” front and back.

Printer Software – Uninstall Existing Software (for the "old" printer)

Uninstall existing printer software from Programs and Features.

Method One - Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Method Two - Settings > Apps > Apps and Features >

Search or Scroll down

Uninstall the printer software

After the software is removed, Restart the computer and log in

If printer software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

** Printer Software – Lurking in the Device Manager **

Check / Verify:  If the printer is still lurking in the Device Manager, remove it.

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager

Expand category Printers

If any unwanted printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Expand category Imaging Devices

If any unwanted printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Restart the computer and log in

** Printer Drivers – Lurking in Devices and Printers **

Check / Verify:  If the printer drivers are still lurking in Devices and Printers, remove driver(s) related to the printer.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Left-Click on any unwanted Printer found in the Printers list

Clicking on a printer, displays options along the ribbon (near the top of the Devices and Printers window)

Click Print Server Properties > tab Drivers

Click on Driver(s) in list, select Remove > OK to exit menu

Back in Devices and Printers > Right-Click on the printer > Remove Device

Restart the computer and log in

If you have not done so, download-save-install the printer software for your new printer.

Printer Software - Installation

NOTE

• If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation.
  • Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).

Download-Save-Install the Full Feature Software for your Operating System version

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

** Optional - Video help **

NOTE:  Videos may be found in one or more locations (depending on printer / software / version)

Open the printer Software and Drivers page >

Scroll down and select Related Videos > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

AND / OR

** Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer” **

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

Open the printer Website Support Homepage >

Scroll down and select Video Tutorials > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

Firmware

Consider installing the printer Firmware

READ (when provided) all instructions before installing the firmware

If / After the firmware is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Reminder:  Firmware is normally updated after the printer software is installed / functional.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Although this did not answer the question directly, I did Uninstall the HP Smart software, then followed the Method 3 instructions in the Wireless Quick Start guide.  This found the printer and installed the software..and most importantly, my printer now sees my new computer and scans to it as hoped.   Thanks!

HP Recommended

@bingo_79 

You are welcome.

Happy Printing.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.