Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When I go to the control panel I can't find a way to set/change the paper size to match the paper that is in the particular tray.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@longhorns73 

Might not be there - not every printer provides the control panel access to the paper size / type.

How it works and what to do:

User Guide > Work with trays (Page 13-14) and Load Paper (Page 14)

Edits - Correction!

User Guide > Chapter 3 - Print - Page 28

NOTE:If you change the paper size, be sure to load the correct paper in the input tray and set the paper size on the printer control panel.

NOTE:

There are other examples in the document; search the document for "correct paper"

Additional information...

If the printer is on the network, use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to manage the printer options.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

The precise location of the setting in EWS is model dependent.

General Examples

The option might be found in Settings > Preferences > Paper Settings

EWS_8630_Settings_Preferences_Paper-Settings_Custom_1EWS_8630_Settings_Preferences_Paper-Settings_Custom_1

The option might be located in Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper 

EWS_9025_Preferences_Tray_Paper_1EWS_9025_Preferences_Tray_Paper_1

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

Adding further, while you may change it from the EWS page you may only change the paper size from the printer itself.

Open and close the paper tray and evaluate the shown prompt, click No or Modify to change the Paper Size / Type.

Additionally, be sure to select the correct paper size from within the Printing Preferences pane on your computer too.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@ShlomiL 

Thanks - I have been depending on the User Guide > Load Paper section to let me know when a printer supports the "modify" / "change"  paper size function on the printer control panel.

I will add to my notes that this printer control panel provides the option after all.

As well, I will complete a more thorough reading of the User Guides for which I did not find the information in the "obvious" place...  Smiling.  Thanks for the correction.

Edits:  Found it!

One Example > Section Print - Chapter 3, Page 28

NOTE:If you change the paper size, be sure to load the correct paper in the input tray and set the paper size on the printer control panel.

Ta-Da.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.