Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to enable Scan To Computer 

From the HP Smart software, Scan to Computer (Webscan) says
You cannot use this function because it has been disabled. For more information, contact your network administrator or the person who set up the printer.

Online, I see recommendations to search windows for the device (8610) and open the HP Printer Assistant, click "Scanner Actions" and "Manage Scan To Computer". None of those seem to exist any more. I have "Scan" with "Scan a Document or Photo" but no "scanner actions" and no "Manage scan to computer"

I've tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor, run the diagnostics on the scanner, and everything is fine. I can initiate a scan from the Windows Fax and Scan App, but I want to initiate it from the 8610 device on the screen.

It is connected to my computer via USB, and I just downloaded the Full HP Drivers today so they are the latest versions.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Manage Scan to Computer should be listed for network-connected devices only, not for USB connection.

Try following the steps below and see if that may help:
From the search bar type CMD, right-click on Command-Line and select Run as Administrator, be sure to confirm any prompt by pressing Yes.

Paste the following command and press enter:

Sc config stisvc depend= rpcss/ShellHWDetection

Now restart your computer and try scanning, may you see any difference?

If not, now try uninstalling the HP Officejet Pro 8610 Basic Device Software from your computer and then reinstall the latest software from hp.com.

Shlomi
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Travis10.

I know it is frustrating.

My wife has her own company and I have mine.

I do IT Support for both companies.

She bought a All-in-One HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 N911n.

For her, everything was fine, Scan to computer, etc, while she was under Windows 7 Pro 64bits.

Then she bought a Dell XPS13 with windows 10 Pro 64bits and today she decided to throw the printer in the garbage.

When our living depend on devices, they have to work, like right now, but we spend our life debugging mediocrity.

From day one, I was the one trying to connect through Scan to computer and it never worked for me.

But my wife was smiling and telling me, it must be something that you do.

I spent many hours that add up to days on HP community and No Can Do.

The best way to save time is to Scan to USB or other media that can fit in the front and put it back in your computer.

It work 100% of the time and frustration comes down because you end up putting a stop to unreliable expectation towards big companies that don't know what they do.

At least, you can scan and print but not to the promises they tel us.

I just bought a HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 AllInOne.

Works fine and I can connect easily to my computer but when I went to the little screen on the printer and try to set Scan to computer, I have 50 choices that a repetition of the same 5

Scan to PCName

Scan to Print to PCName

Scan to Email to PCName

Scan to OCR to PCName

Scan for Fax to PCName

And if I use the first, it starts to scan and it opens a windows : Windows Fax & Scan

Cannot save it as PDF, it is BPM, JPG, GIF, Tiff and PNG.

Still on page 40 of the User manual, it talks all about Scan to computer and nowhere can we find it other than on the printer 1inchx1inch screen.

Pityful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.