Level 1
16 6 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Fax out

Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Officejet Pro 8610 is properly connected with provided RJ11 cable to good phone jack.  The phone line has answering machine but the answering machine is located in another room , separate from the Officejet.  Fax is setup correctly and when I try to fax out, fax message says there is aproblem with the phone jack connection.  But, tested a phone on it and it calls out fine.  Need help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,383 2,201
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Fax out

Hi @lychee11,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues while sending fax from your HP OfficeJet 8610 printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

I need to check the following details:

1. Can you send a fax directly from your printer? If unsure, please try sending a fax using the printer control panel and check if that works.
  2. Can you print from your PC?
  3. Have you tried to check by connecting a different cable?

While waiting for your reply, try performing a power drain on the printer as suggested below:

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, fax cable if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Follow the steps below to perform a fax diagnostics test.

1. Set up the all-in-one for faxing according to the setup instructions found in the product's User's Guide.

2. Make sure you have inserted the print cartridges and loaded paper before starting the test.

3. Press Setup, 6, and then 6. This displays the Tools menu and then select Run Fax Test.

The HP all-in-one displays the status of the test on the color graphics display and prints a report.

4. Review the report.

• If the test passes and you are still having problems faxing, check the fax settings listed in the report to verify the settings are correct. A blank or incorrect fax setting can cause faxing problems.

• If the test fails, review the report for more information on how to fix any problems found.

5. After you pick up the fax report from the all-in-one, press OK. Then turn the printer off, and then on again. If necessary, resolve any problems found and rerun the test.

You can check more detailed setup information here:  HP Officejet Printers - Cannot Send or Receive Faxes

Once you are able to send fax directly from the printer, then try sending a fax from the PC.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
lychee11
Level 1
16 6 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Fax out

No, cannot fax but can print and scan. This is true directly from computer to office jet or from the office jet itself. All cables connected and test fine
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,383 2,201
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Fax out

Hi @lychee11,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you are able to print and scan but not able to fax. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Is it an issue only with sending a fax or are you also having an issue with receiving fax?

Have you tried to run a fax test? If so, did all the test pass. Could you please respond to us with the results of the test for further assistance.

If this is an issue only while sending fax? This could be an issue with the ECM (Error correct mode) setting on your printer.

Go to Basic fax settings / Advanced fax setting, look for ECM option and disable the same. Now check receiving faxes.

If it's an issue also with receiving fax - I would suggest here is to contact your Phone provider. 

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation