Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

ShlomiL

My issue is not resolved via this post.  HP changed the software according to a GEEK Squad agent, so as a result scan from the HP8720 Control Panel has been terminated.  They have no idea why that was done.  I now scan using HP Smart software, which works fine, but is not as convienent.

Pucknut

HP Recommended

@pucknut60, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

This feature requires a full-featured driver to be installed on the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver. (If not already installed)

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Open the HP Full-featured software by clicking on the printer icon on the desktop screen or by searching windows for HP Officejet Pro 8720.

Search Windows for HP > HP OfficeJet 8720 > double click to open the HP Printer assistant > Click on Scan

Click on Manage scan to computer >

Click on Enable > Check the box at the bottom > Close

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.   GEEK Squad tech (Best Buy) installed HP Smart Software which he told me disables scanning from the HP8720 control panel.  The software works fine, as I can very easily scan from my desktop keyboard and same to my hard drive the scanning result.  If HP Smart is an upgrade, why did is disable scanning directly from the printer. 

I have two of 8720's and they are excellent printers at a very favorable price.

Pucknut 

HP Recommended

@pucknut60

The HP Smart app does not have this feature. Did you try the steps mentioned in my previous post?

Kindly perform the steps and let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just wanted to chime in and say that I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series, and I had the exact same issue as buckaroo54: scanning using the commands from my touchpad stopped working correctly.  However, Shlomi's solution worked perfectly for my HP scanner, even though my model is different than buckaroo54's.  

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue... Scan to Computer was working perfectly fine from the printer control panel, and then one day it stopped.   I'm going to give this a solution a shot, but I want to get Windows 10 Feature Update 2004 installed first.  I'll report back once I run thru the steps involved... fingers crossed!

HP Recommended

Reporting back as promised... I was able to walk thru this solution last night, and it appeared to do the trick.  Thanks for posting this!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the trial. But!, I have this window. 

Please, read again my problem: The scanner scans! But, the file is not saved, or I don't know where to look for it.

No window is opened to ask me where to save  it, or to show me the scanned file like before.

HP Recommended

Well, unfortunately, my problem is back.  As previously posted, I used the solution posted in this thread and it solved my issue.  However, here it is 2 weeks later, and I'm trying to scan from my control panel, and I'm getting the same message.  The control panel displays "the file has been sent to the computer", but the file is nowhere to be found.  Does anyone know what is causing this issue?  I can go thru the solution steps again, but if I'm going to have to uninstall/reinstall the software every few weeks, it's going to get old quick.  If we can get to the bottom of what's causing the disconnect, maybe we can come up with a permanent solution.

Thanks again in advance!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.